TX-6 mixer

I get the impression that most of the You Tube ‘influencers’ get sent this stuff for free so that they can promote it. Certainly the more popular ones.

2 Likes

Watching it I was hoping for $600. At double the price I would have liked to see the OP-1 tape with 6 stereo tracks. That I would have considered.

3 Likes

I must be in the minority here as I like it!

It is expensive - not denying that but I think it might be just what I am looking for as a small mixer for my iPad-based recording setup. Previously I used an iRig duo which limits me to two tracks only.

Not interested in the Synth/Drum machine stuff - I have gear that does it better and is much more controllable. but multiple inputs, built in effects, portability, (what looks like) a solid build and MFI compatibility are all major pluses for me.

That price though…eek!

Then again I hesitated at the price of the OP1 and the OPZ, and ended up buying both (at different times after some heavy saving and selling some old stuff) and they are both my most heavily used bits of kit.

The OPZ in particular is something I have been longing for since my old Yamaha QY22s bit the dust (I had two of them one as a backup and used to take them one with me on long journeys for portable writing… ah the memories :slight_smile: )

I do really like Teenage Engineering’s quirkiness. The pocket Operators for example are weird but look like fun.

2 Likes

Very cool, but overpriced.
I prefer to take 2 or 3 or maybe 4 Behringer stuff instead!..What I wouldn’t do, I already have enough to do with what I have :sweat_smile:

1 Like

this nails it for me
no more hesitation on TE stuff if i have the money

something that I don’t see any comments on is…

Field system
Field system began with the idea to create a series of products that look, feel and function as part of a whole. Every item in the collection is designed with portability, compatibility and durability in mind. More than an engineering challenge, field system is driven by a desire to rethink the way we approach music making. TX–6 is the first release in the system, with more devices and accessories to come.

MORE TO COME…ie; record unit in the same form factor, price etc

4 Likes

Loving project, I like it in every way but the price :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Dear GOD, but that’s a ludicrous price. You could buy an OP-1 for that kind of cheddar!

Very interesting. I didn’t see that. Thanks for bringing it up.

2 Likes

where is that quote from @jim ???

it’s not from the main TE page but it was on Sonicstate…Teenage Engineering Debuts TX-6 Field Mixer

1 Like

They missed a trick by not implementing a looper sampler option onto some of the channels. Imagine this paired up to the OP-1 with a looper and those FX. It would open up the OP-1 and look/sound cool AF

I wonder what resolution the encoders are when using it in controller mode. Hopefully 14 bit.

I mean, the Bluebox exists. It’s also portable, can be run off a battery pack. And it records. It’s not an audio interface granted but, even by TE standards, I cannot rationalise this list price…

off the top of my head:

• the enclosure + custom encoders + chip manufacture (all more costly for ltd edition stuff or small runs)
  • prototyping
  • paying devs to make dsp and control firmware + staff who will handle troubleshooting / support for the lifecycle of the product
  • MFi licensing from apple

are people reeeeeeeally so surprised by cost of making a thing like this? of course it’s normal to wish it were cheaper but producing new hardware instruments from scratch is never gonna be cheap for smaller companies

some are willing to eat the losses and hope to sell enough units to make it all worthwhile…TE doesn’t seem to be one of them

4 Likes

Of course it’s a surprise, unless you had some advance knowledge of the thing and whether it was made to a cost or not. It’s surely premium and products from larger companies can give a distorted impression of the cost of development but the price is literally an order of magnitude greater than those of superficially similarly specced portable mixer / audio interfaces like the TC Helicon Blender and Roland GO:Mixer Pro-X, do you really think that won’t attract comment? :slight_smile: Come on, they’re asking for it.

1 Like

i understand that and was similarly surprised seeing “field mixer” then “$1199” next to each other…but reading the specs it gradually became less shocking

my response above is to those who remain stunned or genuinely cant work out why TE are charging that amount

a lot of the discourse about TX-6 seems to assume that it could be made and sold for $199 and TE just tacked on the rest to troll potential buyers

1 Like

I suspect they were aiming for $999 then all of the inflation/supply chain things these days made it creep up to $1199

1 Like

TX-6 wasn’t predicted by FCC documents or something?

While your points are valid, and I agree these are things some may not immediately take into consideration, they can literally be applied to any small scale manufacturer. These are obvious r&d and manufacturing considerations for any product and represent the cost of doing any business and bringing any product to market.
However, there are literally hundreds of similarity sized companies, some much smaller, who can navigate these fundamental logistics and deliver value and quality to the public.
These other companies are not necessarily creating ‘loss leaders’ to drive sales.
Let’s face it, TE is a boutique, premium, design driven company.
I love their products.
But for what this is, and who it is aimed at, it’s seriously over priced. Other companies are doing better for less in this particular space.
It’s clearly far from being a $200 device, just as it is far from being a $1200 device. As others have mentioned, it’s about $400-500 overpriced.
(Of course, I still want one. Touché TE :wink:)

2 Likes