WARNING! NEW ICONNECTMIDI MIO INTERFACES!

Hey fam! Iconnectmidi have released new midi interfaces! Be careful, again. the smallest one IS NOT a USB host, and WILL NOT work with the OP-1. The MIO 4, however seems to be the price of a Kenton USB HOST but with a lot of extra features. That looks like the new standard in USB hosts if you ask me.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio4

This does sound awesome! With the one routing preset it saves on the device this would make the perfect Midi connectivity centerpiece for a mobile set up without a computer. Nice.

GASing over a MIDI interface haha, how sad am I?!

Well. Damn. I have an icm+4. Seems like they just did a new version. Same thing.

This is cheaper though, no?

Probably :smiley:

Ah well, not too many bugs on the icm4+. We’ve had good times.

As far as I can tell, the Mio MIDI interfaces are strictly MIDI interfaces. The iCM4+ also acts as an audio device for iOS and Mac devices that are connected. This new one is ultimately the box that I needed, as I will probably never use audio passthrough for iOS.

Mio is completely non-configurable, which I actually like. Plug and play.

Mio is completely non-configurable, which I actually like. Plug and play.
You must have to edit the routings though surely?

I’ve given up on finding an ideal usb midi host; instead I’ve decided on a raspberry pi + cheap usb midi interface. This means that I can eventually start using it as a sequencer with pd if I want, and the whole thing (pi+interface+enclosure+touchscreen) cost much less than a kenton/iconnectmidi device.

Saw this on facebook, USB host for £26, all you need is the most basic of soldering skills. (written from the point of view of hooking up a USB MIDI controller to the Novation Circuit via MIDI DIN)

yes, i starting to think that diy kit may be the best way. All those midi usb host interface are overpriced, starting to think it’s just about licence.

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/7514/diy-usb-host-midi-din-converter-usbpal-released-/p1

All that puts me off DIY is how to house it, is it possible to get an enclosure where you can attach circuit boards and cut holes for MIDI ports, etc? I don’t like the naked board / wire look.

All that puts me off DIY is how to house it, is it possible to get an enclosure where you can attach circuit boards and cut holes for MIDI ports, etc? I don't like the naked board / wire look.
Definitely! Most electronic retailers or ebay will sell that stuff. I've got several DIY electronic devices, even guitar pedals, that use standard plastic/aluminium enclosures. All you need is a drill that can cut into the kind of material you're using.

I use a company called Rapid in the UK for enclosures and components. Also drilling holes for MIDI ports etc is made so much easier when you use something like this…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3PC-LARGE-HSS-STEP-CONE-DRILL-TITANIUM-BIT-SET-HOLE-CUTTER-STORAGE-POUCH-/361542476515

With the ports attached to a PCB, how would I secure that to an enclosure?

When I made a MIDI to nanoloop sync box, I believe the actual DIN socket I used came with screws for attaching it to an enclosure. Actually, now that I think about it, the DIN socket I used didn’t mount to the PCB… I think the PCB may have just been free-floating in the enclosure, but most enclosures will at least have structures where you can fit a PCB, or screw it in, or attach it in some way.

I’ve made quite a few projects where PCB mount sockets etc are accessible through holes cut in an enclosure. You just have to make sure that the PCB is fastened to the inside of the enclosure with threaded stand-offs firmly fixed with screws near the sockets to avoid stress on the PCB. Counter-sink screws through counter sunk holes in the enclosure base into the stand-offs and then screws through the PCB into the other end of the stand-offs. Threaded stand-offs are available in metal or nylon in various lengths. The nylon ones tend to flex a bit if longer than about 1/2 inch. You (obviously) have to be careful with metal ones to avoid shorting tracks on the PCB.

All that puts me off DIY is how to house it, is it possible to get an enclosure where you can attach circuit boards and cut holes for MIDI ports, etc? I don't like the naked board / wire look.

I would be happy to help you or anyone for that matter, who needs a case made.
Some of my work is here:

https://instagram.com/p/3a2nnoDM9Q/

Saw this on facebook, USB host for £26, all you need is the most basic of soldering skills. (written from the point of view of hooking up a USB MIDI controller to the Novation Circuit via MIDI DIN)

Here I go! ordered all the parts by pressing the link on the linked pdf. They were shipped in a week and supereasy to built/solder (just six wires, ha!) thanks @ghostly606
So…it works in both directions. I can sequence the OP-1 and the OP-1 can sequence other gear. The only thing that’s not working so far is the sync. I have no idea, maybe it’s a beta OS problem. Any thougts? Or maybe the device is that simple so that either sync or note on/off is working…