What is your OP-Z battery usage?


#41

Quick update, after playing back the third demo song for 3 hours straight (on headphones with the volume knob turned vertical) I’m at exactly half of the battery life. I’ll keep it running to see if the other half takes another 3 hours or not.


#42

@docshermsticks said:
the opz was never in the TE store tho.
the preorder page was always separate.

fwiw, the pages are still there u just have to google or know the exact address and type it in.
like the preview page and the preorder page.

???..so everything is in the store for preorder but the op z not??? An not even listed in their products page??..i thought its been released…doesnt make sense


#43

It may be wise to wait for some feedback from TE on the battery issue before jumping to conclusions, since it requires a lot of careful adjusts to the code to achieve a low power consumption. Some last minute firmware change may have caused this, for example some rogue thread continuously running instead of going to sleep…


#44

The results are in!
Just short of 6 hours battery life from completely full to completely empty, playing a demotrack (#3) continuously with the volume knob turned vertical going to headphones.


#45

TE are looking in to the battery “problem”. I send them a mail about it, and they asked to send data from the opz disk to evaluate.


#46

I’m getting like 3 hours. But it only took 20 minutes to charge to 80
% or so. Still glad to have preordered.


#47

Is the battery capacity (mAh) indicated anywhere?


#48

@punji said:
Is the battery capacity (mAh) indicated anywhere?

I’ve seen the battery stats somewhere. Not sure where tho.


#49

740mAh (we can see it @ Jonny’s unboxing II video).

24h autonomy would imply an average of 30mA consumption… not likely to happen, ever.


#50

interesting on the opz preview page, the 4 times around the atlantic has been removed
and the 2 year standby time has been changed to 1 year…

this had to happen in the last couple days as that was the last time i checked it


#51

Agree with Oscar 3k, the speed of charging via USB-C is so fast, the less than initial quoted battery life isnt mission critical. Code optimization and tweaks could improve performance depending on how much juice is diverted to the cartridges.


#52

it could be more critical if u are on the road/out there in the world
and don’t always have access to a power plug.
fast charging or not, those extra hours could be huge.

but i think the main thing is the disconnect between the expectations vs the reality

is this how its supposed to be and they just overshot the expectations?
or is it not how its supposed to be & is there something going on that could be fixed?


#53

The OS is brand new, of course there is more code optimizations to be made. There may be a battery cartridge en route. Wait n see for another 6 months to see how TE builds out this little beast.


#54

Is there any official response from TE support about how long the OP-Z should work?


#55

If the power consumption of one LED is around 15 to 20mAh, you’ll NEVER get 20+ hours out of 740mA, no matter what optimizations they implement.


#56

@LushHigh The LEDs are likely “super bright” and pulsed, as in the POs, the average current per LED would be much less than that… but I agree that with so many of them the total current would be pretty significant. And also the Blackfin 70x seems to consume around 40mA, and there is still the codec, amplifier, bluetooth, flash/ram memories… I really doubt you could do with less than, say, 100-150mA total, ignoring the USB host interface that could draw up to 100mA on top of that… so, 6 hours autonomy seems about right for that battery capacity.


#57

@docshermsticks said:
interesting on the opz preview page, the 4 times around the atlantic has been removed
and the 2 year standby time has been changed to 1 year…

this had to happen in the last couple days as that was the last time i checked it

the wayback machine has the text about flying across the atlantic 4 times on October 1st. - https://web.archive.org/web/20181001182128/https:/www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

the text about glow in the dark paint is still up there. https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z


#58

And that web page still isn’t up on the TE web site. Was it ever officially connected to the OP-Z page?


#59

@kingof9x said:

@docshermsticks said:
interesting on the opz preview page, the 4 times around the atlantic has been removed
and the 2 year standby time has been changed to 1 year…

this had to happen in the last couple days as that was the last time i checked it

the wayback machine has the text about flying across the atlantic 4 times on October 1st. - https://web.archive.org/web/20181001182128/https:/www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

the text about glow in the dark paint is still up there. https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

I forgot the wording on that actually implies 8 transatlantic flights, so around 48 hours total. Really weird thing to say when the actual duration is like 4 hours.


#60

@punji said:
@LushHigh The LEDs are likely “super bright” and pulsed, as in the POs, the average current per LED would be much less than that… but I agree that with so many of them the total current would be pretty significant. And also the Blackfin 70x seems to consume around 40mA, and there is still the codec, amplifier, bluetooth, flash/ram memories… I really doubt you could do with less than, say, 100-150mA total, ignoring the USB host interface that could draw up to 100mA on top of that… so, 6 hours autonomy seems about right for that battery capacity.

if anybody has one of these charger doctor type things
we could suss the current draw out for real, real quick…
i do but i don’t have an opz to check it w/