What software do you use?

I use Sonar x3 and ableton. Sonar was packaged with my first audio interface and is kind of an old habit now. But for comping and structuring alt audio takes and midi with multiple take lanes etc and editing midi it kills ableton. And it has melodyne integrated in to audio clips. Sonar doesn’t get much love but always felt equal or better to anything else out there to me… Misses a decent equivalent to ableton clip launch mode/view tho.

Dabbled with reason and dug certain parts (mostly the browser stood out. Being able to audition at half speed sync etc is pretty useful sometimes). Also liked the customisability of commands etc. But I got distracted when I was learning it and haven’t really gone back to it since…

Curious to check out bitwig at some point…

Sonar doesn't get much love but always felt equal or better to anything else out there to me.

Sonar is hands-down the most complete package for Windows users. I have been using it since before it was Sonar - the Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 days, in fact. Like logic on the Mac, Sonar offers one of the most comprehensive collections of built-in synths and effects on its platform.

I have been using Logic Pro X but lately I’ve been using Ableton more.

My 'day job' (writer for Computer Music magazine) requires that I use pretty much everything. However, when it's time to record my own music, I fire up Cubase - primarily because I have a lot of outboard gear and it still gets on well with most of the old MIDI stuff. It has some decent included synths and effects, though I tend to use outboard gear more in my music simply as a change from my day-to-day work.

If I were just starting out (and on a Mac as the thread starter is), I'd do my best to see if I was truly going to need more than GarageBand offers - it is surprisingly full-featured and one could make full productions without ever looking elsewhere. Plus, when it was time to move to a more feature-packed DAW, any projects made in GarageBand could be opened in Logic Pro. Logic Pro is ridiculously well-outfitted with any effect and instrument one could need. It can be a bit of a head-scratcher, but it has gotten better in that regard over the past couple of years. Because oft he high-quality of the included effects and instruments, Logic is a great choice if you want to use a lot of virtual synths and processors without buying any 3rd-party plugins.

If money is tight - or if you simply want a pro-quality DAW for next-to-nothing, Ardour is well worth a look. I have been using it on a Linux box (and lately on a Mac) for well over a decade and have watched it grow into a mature and sophisticated DAW that can compete with anything out there, regardless of price - and you can get it for as little as a $1 donation (or free if you want to build it from source). Ardour isn't bursting with synth plugins, so you'll have to source your own.

Ableton Live and Bitwig are excellent choices, particularly if you plan to work with loops (and even if you don't). Abelton Live has become something of a standard these days and comes packed with excellent instruments and effects. The interface is easy to get on with and there are bundle options available depending on what you'd like to do. Max For Live is an awesome way to build your own devices and adds a huge amount of power to an already great DAW.

Bitwig's pricing structure is a bit of a head-scratcher, but it's a great environment and its modular routing provides a lot of power. If you are using (or plan to use) analog synths or modular synths, Bitwig offers built-in CV features to control/interact with that stuff (the CV stuff works best with certain audio interfaces, though).

Studio One is also a good option, as it is extremely easy to use. An excellent interface that takes no time at all to learn, but offering loads of sophisticated features, too. It has a cool built-in modular-style plugin routing system.

Reaper is hard to beat if you're on a budget. You can use the demo version for as long as you like with the only limitation being a nag screen at the start. When you're ready to pay, the hobbyist license is quite a good deal. It has some built in instruments and effects, but you'll want to look to 3rd parties for high-end synth plugins.

Reason is... Reason. I personally love it and have been using it since it was a closed rack with only a few instruments and effects. It gets some unfair criticism for what some perceive as its 'sound' but as a DAW it holds up to anything else out there. Plus now you can use VSTs with it. Not that you'd have to! There are enough awesome synths, samplers and effects to last a lifetime in the thing.

Ah, I forgot Tracktion! Tracktion 6 is now free from https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw. Tracktion is a strange duck,a s it ditches the familiar tropes of most other DAWs for an 'all-on-one-page" approach. That doesn't meant it can't compete with the best of 'em though. It's quite easy to use and comes with a few instruments and loads of effects to get you started. And again, it's absolutely free - no strings attached.

This is an excellent overview, thank you :slight_smile:

Reason + OP-1 + Elektron's. Very Swedish!

With some occasional German (Live) thrown in, since there's no Session mode in Reason :(

Same as me :slight_smile:

One great thing about Reason is you can create a mono audio track and resample anything from within Reason and then chop and bounce to aiff samples.

Made 5 drumkits and 10 synth patches tonight. Took like 15min.

All the synths patches are using the new v10 synths Europa and Grain

REAPER!

I am using FL Studio because it is the only software I found that will work on my Surface 4. The touch pen thing is actually pretty fun (when my pen isn’t spazzing- the tip is a little chipped). Ableton never works with midi on my computer. (I am loving using Digitakt midi outs to control FL Studio (plus parameter mapping- 8 knobs per track if I want on each VSynth. OP-1 also immediately connects and works no hassle.)

I’m also a Finale user and OP-1 is good for plugging in and quick playing OFF of the MIDI mode. Nice tiny keyboard to go in the bag while on the road. Still working on the midi thing-- simple entry/speedy works fine but want to do hyperscribe).

Reason + OP-1 + Elektron's. Very Swedish!

With some occasional German (Live) thrown in, since there's no Session mode in Reason :(

Same as me :slight_smile:

One great thing about Reason is you can create a mono audio track and resample anything from within Reason and then chop and bounce to aiff samples.

Made 5 drumkits and 10 synth patches tonight. Took like 15min.

All the synths patches are using the new v10 synths Europa and Grain

This is easy to do in live as well, any audio track can get its input from any track including the master. gotta say that the built-in reason synths are better than any stock ableton plugin though.

I’m mostly in Ableton 9.
Until I have to fully finish a mix then everything ends up in Pro Tools.
As much as I don’t want to be in the Avid upgrade cycle and all, Pro Tools really is the best audio editor out there. And I know it well.

OP-1 + Renoise.
A match made in heaven.

Interesting, @Noiseflux. Care to elaborate? Do you control Renoise with OP-1? I’ve always been curious about Renoise, but only taken a brief look a couple of years back.

Interesting, @Noiseflux. Care to elaborate? Do you control Renoise with OP-1? I've always been curious about Renoise, but only taken a brief look a couple of years back.
Sure!
Renoise was the first DAW I learned to work with and since it's a tracker it's super easy and incredibly fun to just record a (few) bar(s) of OP-1 audio as an instrument in Renoise, play them back and use sample commands to retrigger them from any location.
You can go wild with the whole subtrack part of Renoise but I really just use it to compose the audiotracks I made with the OP-1.
I've got a little setup you can check out if you're interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iwccnlzx7pm5en/OP-1%20Renoise.xrns?dl=0
It's just a compositing example that shouldn't be too overwhelming if you've never really worked with Renoise. :)

So you record stuff from the OP-1, and then slice it with Renoise? Or what do you mean by “retrigger from any location”?

Thanks for sharing the project file, I’ll have to give it a go! Maybe during the holidays… feeling a bit burned out now.

You don’t have to slice the samples, there are timeline commands (0Sxx in this case) that let you play the sample from different places.
It’s nothing you can’t do in other DAW’s but this way of working really helps me creatively. (I didn’t use any pattern commands in the example yet)

You don't have to slice the samples, there are timeline commands (0Sxx in this case) that let you play the sample from different places.
It's nothing you can't do in other DAW's but this way of working really helps me creatively. (I didn't use any pattern commands in the example yet)

The more I read about Renoise the more I realise how similar it is to the Octatrack!

Trackers are basically the ultimate in software samplers. Renoise is hands-down the ultimate tracker.

I used Renoise for a while 5 years or so back and can attest to how awesome it is. Use it as a hardware sequencer and essentially it’s free as the limitations are all on the audio side of things (or at least it was).

Used Logic for a few years which I also liked but hardware only at the moment recording stereo mixer out into iPad but then again I’m just a hobbyist.

Audacity mostly for like everything. But also Tracktion 5 for some multi-tracking stuff that never gets finished.

Behringer is good these days compared to the early 00’s crap they used to make (and I used to buy). Give it a try.
Reaktor exclusively for Twisted Tools.

I also have reaktor just for twisted tools :smiley: