What Would You Want in an OP-ZF?

Yes! New packaging!

Oh and recording pitchbend.

My guess is there will not be a OP-Z field. It would make sense for it to match the 32bit architecture in OP-1 field and TX-6. But then the only just released line-module would be outdated, since I do not think that is 32 bit. Unless TE decided on that module being the OP-Z’s last hurrah and the new hotness has even more IO, built in rumble, in box visualization (hdmi via dongle), more synth engines and maybe a couple of audio tracks for auto-sampling or vocal recording? Only $1500.

3 Likes

Agree about the line module - but it does sound like they are planning on more ‘field’ instruments.We may be looking a few years into the future.
I’d like a built in screen, I know plenty of people do without one, I use my phone but it would be easier not to have to switch it on and sync it.
I’d like the tracks and what you can do with them to be more fluid. I don’t use a lot of drums in my music, so it would be great to be able to free up drum tracks and use them for synths instead.

Just gonna leave this here…:joy::man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Interestingly, I was after an OP-Z battery (there are none on ifixit now) so I emailed TE last week as per their FAQ on the website. I was told they had none in stock and they dont have a timeframe for when they would be back in stock. Hmm…

2 Likes

Yes, and the OP-Z Roll Up Bag is also mostly sold out. In the interview that Gaz (sonicstate) had with Tobias from TE yesterday at Superbooth it was also mentioned that the new OP-1 F is backwards compatible with projects/synths of the OP-1 OG (but not the other way around 🫤) So maybe the expansion modules would also work in a new version of the OP-Z…
Hopefully i got the chance to get a quick chat with them tomorrow🤞

2 Likes

Stuff like sequencer pages is totally possible on the OP-Z without a hardware upgrade, so I’d rather hope for getting it in a software update sooner or later.

7 Likes

These things aren’t really related, there’s no need for 32bit ADC / DAC (I’m not sure that the I/O on the OP-1 Field is 32bit). It’s the internal signal processing that uses 32bit (floating point) DSP for mega headroom. Do we even know that the OP-Z doesn’t work at 32bit internally (although I’d guess not as it has decent headroom but seemingly not a huge amount.)? Anyway the fact that the Line Module is probably 24bit woudn’t be any kind of indication or limiting factor.

The OP-Z is already stereo so it seems more a case of the OP-1 getting upgraded to something like the OP-Z sound engine.

To me a better build quality and a better CPU (-> more voices per step/no more drop outs; more FX at the same time; stereo sampling; maybe four parameters per engine) would already be enough. Perhaps a decent compressor per track.

I‘m a bit sceptical about longer sequences and too many extras. Sometimes I miss them, but the OP-Z mostly let’s me be productive because of its limitations. It seems many would like to have a complete DAW in a wrap but that would completely ruin it for me.

There are many things to think of, but few that a really MISS about OG OP-Z. It’s my favourite instrument :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

There will be an OP-Z Field. And I think we’ll see it this year. They only went two weeks (!) between announcing the TX-6 and OP-1F.

1 Like

Isn’t the OP-Z, field enough already? LOL.
Please TE make a 3000€ opz!! just kidding!

3 Likes
  • Metal Body
  • Metal Body
  • Metal Body
  • Bigger/Stronger Lights (that you can actually see in sunshine)
  • And while you‘re at it, also make the Button labels readable in the dark (backlit)
  • A proper power switch - the current design is just an accident waiting to happen (same is true for the TX-6 and the OP-1F)
  • A proper original case
2 Likes

The ability to choose between different engines for the first eight tracks.
i.e you could make all eight track drum tracks or have three different arp tracks.
Kinda like the octatrack.

8 Likes

It’s more like fixes rather than new features.

• Improved body. Not necessarily the aluminum, but to solve bending problem. Make the whole body proofed do not afraid just to grab it without any cases or make it more stable for falling and water. True “field”.
  • Fix popping dials (wonder if current dial technology could work with metal body).
  • Fix double trigs. Not the main problem but it’s hard to see how people fixing it.
  • Increase length of sampling.
  • Keep the price :slight_smile:

I’ve only had my OP-Z for a few months so I’ll be a little upset if an OPZ-field comes out. However I know that is a risk you take when buying anything.

The things that would make me want to upgrade though are:

• A better build quality (my device seems to warp out of shape whenever I leave it for a little while - I have to gently bend it back into shape each time -very disconcerting)
  • A screen (as someone else mentioned, having to pair the OP-Z each time is a pain and having a screen for me really helps my workflow)
  • If I could get a decent price for my OP-Z :slight_smile:

All the shortcomings of the build (on some units) could be addressd with a replacement enclosure that you put the full OP-Z inside and connect internally through the module bay. It could also have a larger battery and extra built-in I/O, maybe even a little screen (although I think not having a screen is a feature.) I think that would be a nice solution, and actually not a million miles from the silicon cases for the Pocket Operators.

2 Likes

Woah, like an OP-Z mech suit lol, that would be truly wild

Exactly. I think it would be a dream. Not sure what the chances of TE doing something like that would be but they could charge a reasonable TE price and sell a lot, I reckon! I think we all want to see the machine have a long life.

1 Like

this would be incredible

4 Likes

Can we expand this idea to include multiple Tape tracks :nerd_face:

One arp track plus 7 tape tracks :drooling_face:

Extra :yellow_heart: if those tape tracks can send audio into each other.

3 Likes

That’s such a cool idea, I love it!