Which studio headphones are you using? (with your Op-1)

I use Audio technica M35’s -not very expensive and they’re comfy and clear sounding

i use panasonic rphje120 for convenience / portability / cheapness and shure srh440 when sound isolation is required - the shure cans sound very “flat” to me (which is good) - both options work well with my op1 - i also own the grado sr60 which i like but i don’t use them with the op1 - i encourage you to try before you buy if you can

I feel like it destroys my ears slower...

Turn. It. Down :smiley: Headphones make it very easy to damage ears trying to seek that “speaker feel” =/

:smiley:

That’s why I like my headphones to be open : I kind of keep a reference on external sounds ^^
I would love a pair of good monitors and a bass speaker, but for now I cannot afford it…

I use Senn HD-25i for my composing. They’re fairly neutral. They’re the ones you see all the sports broadcasters using (at least here in the US). They’re closed back so I have to be careful since everything can get a bit squashed in them.

Once I’m trying to get my mix right I swap them out with some open back HD650s which are a little flubbier in the bass and also an old pair of Bose Triports as a sort of “consumer” reference.

I wish I could do more on speakers but apartment living makes it tough.

Bose SoundTrue on the ear folding headphones. Love 'em.

I'd like to read something from someone that uses AIAIAI Tma studio, anyone?
I've read far too many negative reviews for me to pop on the Studios or other AIAIAI's dj/production cans (littered in ebay listings left and right). Such a shame because they're beautiful and soft to the touch (fan of rubberized coating finish).

I own the Tracks, but my ears have overgrown them.

Urbanears is another fashion phones label I see get heavily discounted, in fact I bought a pair of the denim ones for $5 at discount store known as Ross, “Dress for Less”, here in the states ahaha. I disassembled It and grabbed the headband for my moded Grado SR-225.

Like our other members I’d also recommend Sen’s PX line, they’re collapsable, convenient, and fun to listen to- I’ve owned two pairs from the line.

I’d also go through head-fi.org if you want the real dirt.

I use Audio technica M35's -not very expensive and they're comfy and clear sounding

I like these too, but recently upgraded to the ATH-50’s because I was really annoyed of the 40 foot cable, and now I’m in coiled heaven.

I have 7506s and a pair of Zinken. The Zinken have better isolation but are bass-heavy and don’t have great top end. The reversible cable is pretty handy. The 7506s are the best-sounding headphones I’ve ever used and are super comfortable (the Zinken are a bit too tight on the ears if you wear glasses).

Another Sony MDR-7506 user here… been using them for years. I have even replaced the foam ear cups…twice.

Similarly, Sony MDR V6 (consumer version of the 7506) I’ve been using for a loooong time. Replaced earpads three times. This last time replaced with Suede pads. Suede is definately the way to go. Also use Audio Technica ATH-50 w/suede pads, much softerand less sweaty than the stock plastic/vinyl material.

The Beyerdynamic EDT250V replacement pads work great for the V6/7506 as well. Makes them super comfy.

@FreshPants How do I know if a set of replacement pads will fit with the 7506s?

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for studio use are sick. Very comfortable and nice flat sound, that represents the frequency rage nicely to my ears.

I have the first Aiaiai joints, the DJ ones, the the studio. They…kinda suck. They are beautiful, but they hurt the hell out of my ears, the cups are small and crush my ears, and they are way too loud!!! They would be good for club use pretty much only, but I don’t really even use headphones when I perform so…they look real nice tho. Most everything I’ve tried from Audio Technica has been amazing. Think they will be my next pair of cans.
@FreshPants How do I know if a set of replacement pads will fit with the 7506s?

@ghostly606

I believe these were the ones I used. I just did a bunch of Google searching and read reviews on Amazon. They’re really comfy and there’s no pleather to flake off on your face like the stock pads. And I just remembered they refer to them as velour, not suede.

The Beyerdynamic EDT250V replacement pads work great for the V6/7506 as well. Makes them super comfy.

At the end of the story today I ordered these cans:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c8feef8909dbc020/

I’m using crappy iPod headphones atm but I’m gonna get me some AKGs. I’ve used AKG cans at my friend’s studio and they’re really good. As for noise - I’m pretty sure it’s more of an issue when you’re attenuating the volume on the OP1 - so a pair of cans with a built in attenuator would probably be a good idea. Well, either that or get a small in-line attenuator from somewhere; I expect they’re cheap.

Superlux HD 330! best Beyerdynamic Coop of all Time. they are made out of Original Beyer Components.

buy them here…

http://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd_330.htm

I use them with original Beyer Pads and guys its the same Patent on everything on this Headphones.

akg k550 - massive comfy closed back / sound very clear, natural and open / kinda wish they gripped my head a bit better but other than that they are incredible for 150 euros - I really like the design too! Won lots of awards too - check em out…
akg k270 - very light open back / had these many years and they are also very good in terms of sound. They are much cheaper now as they upgraded to mkII but they don’t score high in the looks / cool dept.
Urban Ears Plattan (scummy brown) hip but they squeeze my head so hard I could pop after 15 minutes. Bass is too heavy and not much definition in the mid and hi range. In fact I have no idea why I bought them other than the fact they are ‘brown’ and were kinda cool at the time. Maybe I just don’t like on the ear headphones…of course it makes a huge difference in what you hear.
I also tried beyerdynamics DT 770 and 990 pro too - both cracking good headphones but I just like the way the AKG’s sound.

I also have the old akg k270. Good detailed, spacious sound. can be had on ebay for reasonable money. i am happy mixing with them.

After getting the OP-1, headphones became a central thing to me. I already had a couple that I really like - AKG 240m and Sennheiser HD-25-1 II. They are pretty different, AKGs being over-ear, open-backed, light, flat and very very comfortable. The Sennheisers are on-ear closed-back, tight, slightly bassier and have very good isolation. I prefer the Sennheisers with the OP-1.

But now I really decided to splurge. I ordered the Blue Mo-Fi, realising that they are quite heavy - but I really want more bass in my OP-1 experience. They are also meant to be quite tight over the ears, which might not be comfortable in the long run.

Before deciding on the Blues I tried a pair of low impedance Beyerdynamic 770 with the velvety ear muffs. They must be the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever tried.