Will Teenage Engineering go into modular?

Will TE do eurorack? Whatcha think

Interesting idea! Currently they seem to only create and work within their own ecosystem. For what they make now there is really next to no competition so branching out into an established format would certainly be unusual for them.

I’d be a little surprised if they did move to eurorack but not shocked in any way. I’d certainly like to see what they’d come up with for eurorack!

Agreed with @wolflegjon. They seem more focused on making software on top of custom hardware. So unless they want to make modules like Mutable Instruments, I don’t see it happening. Maybe they will include CV in the OP-Z or other items, but probably not full-blown modular.

im hoping for the opz to have CV and click clock(volca range sync and PO) if it has both of those itll become the main control unit of my eurorack.

Currently they seem to only create and work within their own ecosystem

Not totally true : think of Volca sync compatibility with POs… Such synchronization signal is proper to Korg, so adopting this very particular signal was clearly a way to enable the PO in a Volca environment. Same public, btw.

Now what’s coming next… With the success of POs, the fact that many synth Kickstarter find their public and what seem to be a growing attention to hardware for electronic music, I can only wish that whatever goes out of their lab is going to be surprising :smiley:

Currently they seem to only create and work within their own ecosystem

Not totally true : think of Volca sync compatibility with POs… Such synchronization signal is proper to Korg, so adopting this very particular signal was clearly a way to enable the PO in a Volca environment. Same public, btw.

Now what’s coming next… With the success of POs, the fact that many synth Kickstarter find their public and what seem to be a growing attention to hardware for electronic music, I can only wish that whatever goes out of their lab is going to be surprising :smiley:
@LyingDalai Thats a valid point. I’d consider TE’s method to be backwards step compared to Korg but I get why they did it from a design/cost POV. Don’t get me wrong, I love what TE do but connectivity with the outside world is probably their weakest area (its by no means terrible at all but as we are talking about standardised formats its worth mentioning).

I’m also interested to see what comes next and where the OP-Z goes. I think in some ways that might offer a few clues to their next moves. As @masterofstuff124 mentioned above, the inclusion of CV in/out on the OP-Z would certainly open up future areas for TE to go into and put their own take on. I’m looking forward to what TE do next and as you said - I’m sure there will be a few surprises a long the way!

I think that elektron will release their own line of modules and cases because thats make sense…i dont see te doing that kind of stuff…

Teenage Engineering is going to be here in Berlin at the SuperBooth modular show at the end of the month. Hmmm…

I'm currently doing midi to cv with the Oplab. It also lets me do cv to midi, which when you think of it, is kinda far-out, or at least uncommon.

Good point, does this not allow the OP1 (and then the OPZ) to interface with CV gear? I can’t see TE adding CV to the OPZ.

I guess both the OP-1 and the PO’s (and likely OP-Z too, by the looks of it) have design and user usage elements that attract a larger audience than strictly experienced musicians. To do eurorack might be too nerdy for that wider target group, but could TE:s supposed take on modular on the other hand open up the eurorack to non-nerds?

...but could TE:s supposed take on modular on the other hand open up the eurorack to non-nerds?

Who are you calling a nerd?! :wink:

@Ullbasunen lol is the perception still that eurorack is for nerds? When I started into modular in 2003ish, that was definitely the case. But when Pretty Lights and other mainstream musicians/producers start using it, I don’t think it is for just nerds anymore. Similarly, as soon as Roland released modules, I think nerd-cred was no longer needed.

If even, not for awhile. They really march to the beat of their own drum, and almost all of their products work standalone.

No one seems to pay attention to TE’s design philosophy, just quick to say “gimme gimme all the features I think this is missing!” or “make it in format X now”.

Seems like the OPLab might have been more successful as a eurorack module?!

whaaaaa?!

^ o fuck. well there certainly arent enough all in one’s in EUro. difficult for a newbie to get into the game without multiple modules. but things like this let you jump right it. i guess an anushri would be good too(just ordered a pcb for it lol)

photoshop?

No modular please. Don’t want the Pandora box to be opened. I prefer a standalone magic box.

Shhh don’t let the TEam know we will all buy one without any features on top of what has already been shown. Lol.

If they designed the PO series with eurorack front panels, they could easily sell each one at twice the price, maybe more. Even if they were $150, in the modular world that would still be a reasonable price for these…

But I doubt that TE will actually make euro modules.