Compatible midi keyboards that work direct from the op-z

I have a Arturia mini brute… do you think that it will work with the Op Z

The Launchpad X presents two USB midi devices to it’s host, but the first one is the “DAW” interface unique to Ableton, so the OP-Z just ignores the second interface which provides the standalone keyboards and custom layouts.

I suspect either device would need an update to address direct connections. Can you imagine midi routing interface for the OP-Z that doesn’t involve an app?

Using Bluetooth midi from the OP-Z to my phone, and the required cables, adapters, and external power supply from my phone/tablet, I get away using a midi routing app like AUM or Midiflow.

Midiflow also allows transforming or duplicating midi channels as well as mapping Aftertouch (Channel Pressure) to your preferred parameters via CC#.

Also, you can find a little wack-a-mole game on the Launchpad X if you connect it directly to a battery without any USB host.

1 Like

I just got one and can confirm that the op-z does in fact power the launchpad x but I am now just starting to confront the issues you are speaking of. I can’t get the op-z to receive midi notes from the x.

I really dont want to have to use a workaround to send midi though. I was just hoping that Id be able to program a custom layout on the x and then send it to the x and run that custom mode when its plugged into the op-z. I guess ill just be returning the launchpad. It was only going to be used while traveling for work anyway but I thought it could be pretty useful in a custom use mode for the z. Turns out the short answer is no

1 Like

I took a video showing how just using a USB-C to USB-C Apple charging cable the OP-Z is able to directly connect to the new Roli Lumi Keys. It’s pretty and velocity sensitive so its a pretty good arrangement to play these awesome instruments. I now use the Lumi as my go-to midi controller. I also have the Roli Blocks and Seaboard but they’re so expressive they’re better for certain instruments.

Mind the baby cries and kids blabbering, lol.

default_test_tone

2 Likes

Yeah, I felt similarly bummed at first since I bought the Launchpad X for eventual finger-drumming practice, but even then, creating a custom layout of OP-Z notes across 4 midi channels has proven to me that baby steps or at least more thought is required.

A middle phone & app isn’t much to bother me, plus the LpX has a few tricks from apps that take advantage of the DAW programer modes, and a few 4-channel layouts are useful for Korg Gadget app too.

Configuring the LpX on the fly is only possible from a computer with Chrome or the from the official Components app (which I bet is little more than an Electron wrapped version of the website).

I’ve kept mine since the sensitivity of the LpX is better than the Arturia BeatStep Pro (which I returned after developing sore fingertips from the low-velocity midi output).

Any one else having problems when using a midi keyboard and the app?
When i turn on the app the functionality of the keyboard is lost. All mapping that i did is lost and the controls only respond to channel 1 on the opz no matter the settings.

The second i disable the app the functionality is restored…

1 Like

that’s a bug for now

I am not confident the Sensel can connect to the OP-Z via Bluetooth but I can tell you that the Morph works fabulously with the OP-Z when connected directly with a MicroUSB to USB-C cable. Just make sure to set your Morph to “Slow Charge” in the Sensel App.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the IK Multimedia iRig Keys 37 Pro will work with a USB-C cable? It seems like a cheap and portable option with, 3-octaves of full-sized velocity sensitive keys.

Update: Edited for clarity and to reflect correct cable type

SE25 Nektar works with OP-Z with the requisite Micro-USB > USB-C cable.

I kinda want to shoot whoever at TE thought making their keyboard F-F to buck the trend of literally everyone else doing C-C was a good idea.

1 Like

How is the overall experience with the SE25?
Seems like a nice compact companion for the op-z.

I can’t recommend it enough. You literally just plug it in and you’re good to go. I have noticed you sometimes need to power cycle the OP-Z to get it to detect if you’re jumping between plugging in your computer vs. the keyboard but that’s to be expected.

All the onboard controls work great. There is one minor gripe (which is TE-related) in that because standard keyboards are C-C and not F-F if you want to use the SE25 to do your Performance Track stuff (filter sweeps/fills) then you’re going to want to set up a transposed keyboard to get the full range. That is going to be true of almost every keyboard because (and someone please tell TE this) the industry standard is C-C.

I’ve been a piano player since I was 8 and keyboards routinely disappoint with their action and feel. I’ve struggled to play instruments like the MicroKorg XL because the toy keys are tiny and the weight and springiness is too floaty and weak.

The Nektar has quite a springy action which I quite like. Coming from weighted keys on a real piano or piano keyboard I’m used to a bit of weight and resistance so I welcome the fact that these are high resistance.

I would say the resistance is higher than the “waterfall” weighting of a Nord. The keys feel heavier than a Nords.

I can shred on it no problem. :slight_smile:

Given it’s a very cheap controller and absurdly portable, being about the size of an OP-1 but thicker but also significantly lighter, it seems like an amazing choice for the OP-Z. I’m v happy.

I was bummed to discover the OP-1 doesn’t support USB-Midi natively so I haven’t been able to pair them yet.

2 Likes

QuNexus forever, getting a second one, soon!

Have you tried powering the QuNexus via the midi expansion port (mini USB) with something like a power bank? I wonder if that works when it’s connected to the OPZ via the normal (micro USB) port. So it would not drain the battery of the OPZ…

1 Like

you should try that!

I have the K-Board not the QuNexus, so no expansion port. Of course I would try it myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all. Just to let the community know that the nektar se49 (49 keys !) works direct from the op-z.The nektar se49 is one of the cheapest keyboard of the market so…it’s a good news i guess. :sunny:

Hey man, I just got a Nanokey and when I connect it to the OP-Z (Through Kingston Nucleum), the setup works, but the tempo is stuck in 120 and I can´t change it. Have you run into a problem like that?

Thanks in advance.

I want to buy the mk3 for it so you just connect to usbc plug thru USB micro ?

how about the maschine mk3 mikro or the mpc studio mk2?