Doubletrigs on OP-Z

This is the internal side, that looks like a rivet…

This is the external side, that looks like a plastic pole. It does not seem to be the rivet shown above…

1 Like

That thing below the device in the first picture looks like the same thing as in the second picture at the top edge? Maybe that’s all that is holding it in? I think the plastic poles go into the top picture heads just to hold the keyboard device together itself, not to hold it in the opz.

Also now suffering from this fault, check out a video here: https://vimeo.com/366886513. I’m pretty bummed since I just spent the last month or so waiting for an OPLAB module to get RMA’d and now I can’t really demo it reliably because the unit has terrible trigger consistency around the middle C range.

It is clear that the problem develops over time. I would guess either the contacts get somehow oxidized with higher electrical resistance or the flex board gets deformed and fails to make electrical contact. Anyway that is a bummer :worried:

No DIY or part revision huh?

My third OP-Z has been pretty good. I thought for sure I was going to get double trigs again but it’s still responding well over several months of heavy use. The other previous units I had developed the issue in a matter of days or a few weeks. If my current unit ever gets the issue again it will be its downfall because it makes the workflow not fun and very annoying to use live and sequence.

did you try a factory reset and an Update to the latest OS?

mine is also really stable since the exchange to one of the newer revisions. Hopefully yours will do better

I’ll give it a try when I get home but I already started my RMA and you can see in the video just moving a little bit while applying constant pressure causes the unit to spazz out.

had this also with my first unit. :frowning:

How many RMAs did you do and how do I tell if my model is early batch?

I’m on my 2nd Z. Had an early model with dbl trigs and popping encoders. Thankfully, vintage king, the reseller sorted me out with zero fuss. 2nd unit working fine so far.

AlrIght got my second OP-Z and buttons seem reliable. I also noticed my pitch bend feels a lot more squishy and malleable than the last unit which is great as my last unit seemed like a great idea but poor execution. This one feels great and usable. I also noticed this unit is a lot more curved then my first one which was much straighter but I don’t really care as long as the unit doesn’t move when being played on a surface.

I have noticed a lot more bugginess software side since updating to the new firmware. For instance pattern chaining would absolutely not work no matter how many times I tried last night. Then I tried today and my unit glitched on boot, restarted and now chaining works on first try??

I am relearning basics and trying to make sure I can make rigorous sequences before I demo my second OPLAB module and write and update on that.

thats not acceptable in a new unit, i would return it or exchange it again if i could… Thats really whack for an expensive product,

1 Like

Mine developed double trigs and encoder falling out, first batch, minimal usage, always kept in hard case when not in use. Returned to retailer Gear4Music after just under 1 year since purchase, advised that it can take 60 days to get repaired, so far been a couple of weeks.

Not too happy.

1 Like

keep it up, bro.

mine has been grade A since replacement one year ago.

1 Like

I think I’m getting the first signs of double trigs now. Mines from the first batch. Makes one wonder if the software changes that have help on some haven’t on others. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

I don’t think it is firmware related, as only certain buttons were affected, mine got progressively worse too.

1 Like

double trigs may not be firmware related
but some (better) debouncing code
would prolly help immensely

debouncing routines are pretty standard
as all buttons have some physical bouncing going on

I’ve gone through several replacements and the issue does seem to be fixed on the newer units. On the early units the double trigs started to happen after a couple of weeks of constant use. IMO the only way to tell if the unit won’t have double trig issues is to use it consistently otherwise it’s hard to tell. Basically you got to break-in the unit under normal load.

1 Like

Yes that seems to correlate with my experience, I got the OP-Z and tried it out for a few hours, then put it away for probably a few weeks, then used it again for a little while, put it away for a while etc. I reckon in the year it probably a couple hours use per month max.

I think if I used it everyday then the problem would have shown up sooner.

I’m not impressed with the construction of the keyboard assembly from the pictures posted, the melted plastic fixings are not going to be servicable, would have been much better to use screws, almost seems disposable the way it is.