Elektron Digitone

Regarding Digitakt and its bugs… I just have a bad suspicion that they started down a bad development path - maybe working on MIDI bugs, new OS features, and whatever this major new Overbridge stuff is supposed to be, all at the same time; and did it in a way where they cannot easily extract just the bug fixes because they kept thinking this was going to be just a small update and it got away from them.

As a developer, I’ve known how things like that can happen (I once named a branch as ‘fixup0906’ because it was going to fix everything in september 2006, which was when I started it. That branch of work ended up taking over 18 months to do! and I felt like a fool as that name kept haunting me every day).

And that was just some shitty web development work. Nothing like embedded systems programming. Again, I expect better of Elektron than of myself, but it really feels like OS update and Overbridge overhaul got horribly intermingled.

Personally, I have zero use for Overbridge and I think that’s what’s dragging everything down and that these devices would be better off and more stable without it. But that’s just me. SysEx Librarian and C6 and TurboMidi and 4 character sample names ought to be good enough for anybody!

[upside down smiley face emojicon]
Why release the Digitone before it's finished? (same as DT) Makes no sense to me. Their reputation used to be about rock solid sequencing. This is in tatters.

Cool box though! :smiley:

Do you own a Digitakt mate? Honestly Elektrons reputation is not in ‘tatters’. For people who know what theyre doing thier stock has never been higher. My machine has never crashed on me. It’s the people who don’t know what they’re doing with overly complex midi routing sequencing external gear, creating midi feedback loops that are crashing the unit. The same idiots who think Overbridge is going to magically turn them into amazing recording artists.

As far as Digitone goes, it’s going to get updates of course. Things will nees to be ironed out, that’s the nature of the game. What’s the alternative?..never release anything ‘just in case’ it crashes on someone.

Easy dude :wink:

Not really cool to assume people to be ‘idiots’ or to not ‘know what they’re doing’, just because they’ve grown sceptical of a company that released a (initially super…) buggy sampler over half a year ago, that still can’t be backed up and/or are still waiting for OB so they can pipe separate outputs… Yet the company has the dev resources to release and update entirely new products.

It just doesn’t add up so great… I don’t even own a DT but I see this stuff and it colours my perception of the company same as with any other company. And hearing people still wait for this stuff just reminds me back to my original DT disappointment with it not having memory card/bigger memory, more outputs etc… guessing a bunch of purchasers dismissed those omissions based on things that have yet to materialise…

Dunno why people seem to get touchy/defensive about elektron? Korg/Roland/Behringer/Akai etc get slated constantly as soon as they put a step wrong but a lot of people jump to Elektron’s defense when they act similarly… It’s strange…

And as far as overbridge and backing up…I don’t backup anything a I play on my guitar, and I don’t feel the need to mic up every string. My point is these things are instruments. If you can’t get something sounding good on the device itself (ie the same as OP1) then no amount of multitracking and post production is going to help you.

There’s no coincidence that many bands/artists up until the mid 90s still played live and recorded albums in a week.

I absolutely loved my DT, thing sounds amazing. But I soon filled it up with samples. I couldn’t delete samples because I had so many projects using them. I couldn’t track out my projects to mix because it only has a stereo output. So it just sat there unused… and annoyed me. I paid 1100$ to have a sampler with no more room to sample. So I got pissed off with the situation one night and deleted two months of tracks and samples and put it on eBay. That was November last year and still no backup or OB.
I just used the money to buy the Digitone… not so fussed with no backup for now as it’s not a sampler with a limited 2gb drive. When backup and OB arrive for Digitakt I will probably get another, especially if they add a compressor and stereo pass through on the inputs. Or maybe I’ll wait and see what the next Digi box is? Probably will be a machinedrum type thing. The Digitakt is beast though, eager to see what they bring in the next few updates

Sorry you had a bad experience. All I can say is other than octatrack Elektron have never had any backup capabilities.

I would agree it is essential for Digitakt though with only 1gb storage. Having said that it is marketed as a drum computer, so in that instance if you used it for short one shots and single cycle waveforms as intended you would do well to fill 1gb.

Of course you can use it for alot more than just one shots…but as soon as you run into problems regarding space you’re always going to get the answer…“Should’ve got an Octatrack”. Which in reality is the truth…the two machines exist side by side for a reason.

But it is a sampler… even if it’s labelled as a drum computer. Elektron gave it a 30sec sample limit and chromatic playback for a reason :wink:
And I don’t think get a Octatrack is the answer, the workflows are so different, for live improv jamming the DT is great. The OT is massively more powerful but so different

Seems like everything is going to the “buy the buggy thing and we’ll fix it with updates!” way. Day 0 downloads are common for $50 videogames, but for $800, we should be getting complete products. Dont get me wrong, I like the ability to update, but it seems like it allows developers to release unfinished products with the promise of “fixing” it later. Welcome to the modern world I reckon.

DT is mostly OK now. Nothing of the kind 1.00 was, if I read others’ reports correctly. Mine came with 1.03 and 1.04 had just come out. I imagine DN will get the same, but better, treatment (DT was all-new box, DN looks like the same box, slightly different arrangement of buttons). I can totally imagine they have conceived both around the same time. Did I get a complete product with DT 1.04? About as complete as the latest OP1. Can’t do a few things, but mostly works, and is a joy to use. It has bugs, mostly not critical.

Re “buy the buggy thing and we’ll fix it with updates”, we’ve grown to expect so much of software and all of it bug-free. Unsurprisingly, it’s almost impossible to produce bug-free software. These boxes are all software. Look at acoustic instruments, i’m pretty sure you’ll find “bugs” too; good luck “updating”.

Thinking about it, I’d really like a Digitone. Ready to throw out all the Volcas I have in an instant.
Why release the Digitone before it's finished? (same as DT) Makes no sense to me. Their reputation used to be about rock solid sequencing. This is in tatters.

Do you own a Digitakt mate? Honestly Elektrons reputation is not in ‘tatters’. For people who know what theyre doing thier stock has never been higher. My machine has never crashed on me. It’s the people who don’t know what they’re doing with overly complex midi routing sequencing external gear, creating midi feedback loops that are crashing the unit. The same idiots who think Overbridge is going to magically turn them into amazing recording artists.

As far as Digitone goes, it’s going to get updates of course. Things will nees to be ironed out, that’s the nature of the game. What’s the alternative?..never release anything ‘just in case’ it crashes on someone.

Not really cool to assume people to be ‘idiots’ or to not ‘know what they’re doing’, just because they’ve grown sceptical of a company that released a (initially super…) buggy sampler over half a year ago, that still can’t be backed up and/or are still waiting for OB so they can pipe separate outputs… Yet the company has the dev resources to release and update entirely new products.

It just doesn’t add up so great… I don’t even own a DT but I see this stuff and it colours my perception of the company same as with any other company. And hearing people still wait for this stuff just reminds me back to my original DT disappointment with it not having memory card/bigger memory, more outputs etc… guessing a bunch of purchasers dismissed those omissions based on things that have yet to materialise…

Dunno why people seem to get touchy/defensive about elektron? Korg/Roland/Behringer/Akai etc get slated constantly as soon as they put a step wrong but a lot of people jump to Elektron’s defense when they act similarly… It’s strange…

And as far as overbridge and backing up…I don’t backup anything a I play on my guitar, and I don’t feel the need to mic up every string. My point is these things are instruments. If you can’t get something sounding good on the device itself (ie the same as OP1) then no amount of multitracking and post production is going to help you.

There’s no coincidence that many bands/artists up until the mid 90s still played live and recorded albums in a week.

I absolutely loved my DT, thing sounds amazing. But I soon filled it up with samples. I couldn’t delete samples because I had so many projects using them. I couldn’t track out my projects to mix because it only has a stereo output. So it just sat there unused… and annoyed me. I paid 1100$ to have a sampler with no more room to sample. So I got pissed off with the situation one night and deleted two months of tracks and samples and put it on eBay. That was November last year and still no backup or OB.
I just used the money to buy the Digitone… not so fussed with no backup for now as it’s not a sampler with a limited 2gb drive. When backup and OB arrive for Digitakt I will probably get another, especially if they add a compressor and stereo pass through on the inputs. Or maybe I’ll wait and see what the next Digi box is? Probably will be a machinedrum type thing. The Digitakt is beast though, eager to see what they bring in the next few updates

Sorry you had a bad experience. All I can say is other than octatrack Elektron have never had any backup capabilities.

I would agree it is essential for Digitakt though with only 1gb storage. Having said that it is marketed as a drum computer, so in that instance if you used it for short one shots and single cycle waveforms as intended you would do well to fill 1gb.

Of course you can use it for alot more than just one shots…but as soon as you run into problems regarding space you’re always going to get the answer…“Should’ve got an Octatrack”. Which in reality is the truth…the two machines exist side by side for a reason.

Suggesting that someone should buy an octatrack instead of DT purely so they can back up samples is crazy talk :wink: Possibly the kind of thing elektron might hope people do I guess? But in reality surely any sampler over £300 (or even way less?) should have ‘some’ means of backup? I can’t think of any other that doesn’t?

Why do you keep inserting a :wink: winking emoji after every condescending thing you say?

It’s the Internet equivalent of saying ‘no offence’ after offending someone.

Is it tourettes or just a bad habit?

If other people having an alternative opinion really bothers you a forum probably isn’t the best place to hang out. It’s like a vegan in a sausage factory

Suggesting that someone should buy an octatrack instead of DT purely so they can back up samples is crazy talk :wink: Possibly the kind of thing elektron might hope people do I guess? But in reality surely any sampler over £300 (or even way less?) should have ‘some’ means of backup? I can’t think of any other that doesn’t?

Why do you keep inserting a :wink: winking emoji after every condescending thing you say?

It’s the Internet equivalent of saying ‘no offence’ after offending someone.

Is it tourettes or just a bad habit?

If other people having an alternative opinion really bothers you a forum probably isn’t the best place to hang out. It’s like a vegan in a sausage factory

Because I was disagreeing in a friendly manner. Now I’m not.

hypocrite much? You’re the guy who started saying people were idiots if they had an opinion other than yours… Please enjoy the sausage factory and be sure to visit the gift store on your way out, vegan aisle is last on the right…

Haha ok

Another thing that makes me sceptical is how it kind of looks like with new elektron boxes Im forced in to paying for OB. Even though I’m not one of those that will use it. Like DT price has rocketed since Elektron said ‘OB is now going to be free!’… Maybe coincidence and down to other factors but seems a little sketchy?

I was one of those that complained about paying for OB separately when it was first mentioned. But at least it was good to have that as an option… Not just lumped in to the RRP which seems like is maybe what has happened. Anyone have any insight in to other possible reason behind the new DT price?

But back on topic :wink:

How are people finding the DN macros system for variety/sweet spots? Looks really fast/intuitive. Love dialling in sounds by feel on the 4 op1 knobs. Refreshing compared to more considered tweaking on my other boxes. Does DN feel like that same kind of vibe when designing sounds?

Can you punch notes in to the arpeggio designer via chromatic trigs mode (kinda like using Endless) or do you need to use knobs?

How does the Arpeggiator weigh up against Op1’s?

Weird, seemingly trivial question but does the lfo destination menu timeout too fast like on AK? Dunno why but that drives me crazy… Wish they’d fix it. Hoping they changed that behavior on the latest boxes?

Can you change chord shapes while holding note/s using the external midi tracks or is it same as OT for this?

Cheers!

Another thing that makes me sceptical is how it kind of looks like with new elektron boxes Im forced in to paying for OB. Even though I'm not one of those that will use it. Like DT price has rocketed since Elektron said 'OB is now going to be free!'... Maybe coincidence and down to other factors but seems a little sketchy?

I was one of those that complained about paying for OB separately when it was first mentioned. But at least it was good to have that as an option… Not just lumped in to the RRP which seems like is maybe what has happened. Anyone have any insight in to other possible reason behind the new DT price?

Digitakt was £699 on release in the UK, it’s now £550.

Again, load of rubbish. Prices raised slightly over NAMM as it always does because people GAS is high.

Another thing that makes me sceptical is how it kind of looks like with new elektron boxes Im forced in to paying for OB. Even though I'm not one of those that will use it. Like DT price has rocketed since Elektron said 'OB is now going to be free!'... Maybe coincidence and down to other factors but seems a little sketchy?

Again, load of rubbish. Prices raised slightly over NAMM as it always does because people GAS is high.

My memory’s fried, some reason I thought it was £599 on release.

Assumed those current cheaper prices were older stock? Elektron website and bunch of UK stores are £699 if hit ‘compare prices’.

Sweet at £550 tho if that’s on-going.

For real they raise prices over NAMM? Do all companies do this? Pretty shitty industry we’re all obsessed with :confused:

My memory’s fried, some reason I thought it was £599 on release.

Assumed those current cheaper prices were older stock? Elektron website and bunch of UK stores are £699 if hit ‘compare prices’.

Sweet at £550 tho if that’s on-going.

For real they raise prices over NAMM? Do all companies do this? Pretty shitty industry we’re all obsessed with :confused:

Well I think with the release of Digitone and the pending update (which many believe will bring some new features), retailers always take advantage of the GAS factor around the time of NAMM. Makes sense and happens in every industry. It’s the same as running a burger van…on the side of the road you will sell burgers for £3, at a festival you will bump that price up to £5 just because people are dumb and will pay it.

Something on my mind.

With the OP-1, you can make a full track and record it right there, so all that’s needed is MP3 conversion for a release.

What would people do with Digitone for this? I’m not eager to connect it to my old Mac with a DAW…

@<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/136/johnl” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>johnl<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> Just get yourself a portable recorder (I use Zoom H4n) to record the stereo out and you’re good to go :slight_smile:

Something on my mind.

With the OP-1, you can make a full track and record it right there, so all that's needed is MP3 conversion for a release.

What would people do with Digitone for this? I'm not eager to connect it to my old Mac with a DAW...

Record it to your OP1

No, OP-1 records in mono, unfortunately :frowning:

bump can any DN owners throw some light on -

Can you punch notes in to the arp designer with keys/trigs? Or is it only doable via knobs?

Does the sequencer allow for held notes through polyphonic chord shape transitions? Always bugs me that my OT sequencer can’t do this :frowning:

Thanks!

Something on my mind.

With the OP-1, you can make a full track and record it right there, so all that's needed is MP3 conversion for a release.

What would people do with Digitone for this? I'm not eager to connect it to my old Mac with a DAW...

I record to my Mac, but I just use a simple recorder program like Amadeus Pro - https://www.hairersoft.com/pro.html - which I’ve had for years. I’ve got a Behringer mixer with USB acting as simple audio interface. It’s almost like recording to tape - “file - new”, hit record, and go! Then Amadeus can save and export to just about any format. Just much much much easier than dealing with Logic or anything like that for quick record sessions, especially since on Digitone and other Elektron hardware, I’m doing all synthesis and sequencing outside of the computer. I also use Amadeus to deal with the OP-1 album files and make MP3s or AAC or whatever and to add some simple mastering.

Audacity is a free/open source alternative to Amadeus type editors - http://www.audacityteam.org

If I really don’t want to leave the couch and I’ve got a good jam going on an Elektron, I’ll use something like the H4N mentioned earlier.
*bump* can any DN owners throw some light on -

Can you punch notes in to the arp designer with keys/trigs? Or is it only doable via knobs?

Does the sequencer allow for held notes through polyphonic chord shape transitions? Always bugs me that my OT sequencer can’t do this :frowning:

Thanks!

No, you can only enter arp notes with the knobs, and it doesn’t fit the arp to whatever scale you have set which is a shame. Hopefully they will add that in next update.

Not sure about the second question, but I’m guessing the answer is no as it’s an Elektron sequencer.

*bump* can any DN owners throw some light on -

Thanks!

No, you can only enter arp notes with the knobs, and it doesn’t fit the arp to whatever scale you have set which is a shame. Hopefully they will add that in next update.

Not sure about the second question, but I’m guessing the answer is no as it’s an Elektron sequencer.

Thanks for info. Shame can’t enter custom arp notes via keys/trigs. Will keep an eye on updates. Would be great if it had same note input workflow as Endless.

The sequencer polyphonic behaviour is pretty important for my needs. My AK has ‘normal’ behaviour (in live rec I can sequence static notes alongside changed notes)… But OT midi tracks are a bust for this…Been toying with idea of DN + IPad as permanent digital buddies… But would need this sequencer functionality on the DN midi tracks for ipad synths. Will try to find confirmation of yes/no…