Multichannel export for OP-Z? Meet "underbridge"!

Hi,

it exports all the audio and midi data o f a single pattern or a complete project to seperate wave and midi files per track. You can decide what effects will be recorded in the audio by excluding them, If you want a dry recording without reverb or don’t want any of the step components in it etc. One button but you have to set up some things first.

Mac is a bit problematic. It runs in a macOS 11 virtual machine currently. I have one report of it not running on macOS earlier than that. As I don´t have a mac I can´t really work out potential bugs.

Other than that it should work just as the free version did and you can download the pro version and see if it starts up without a key first.

Also:

Huge update coming with recording engine overhaul and GUI improvements. Scheduled for end of this week.

6 Likes

Very nice thank you! I hope it will work on my mac. Will try that out soon

1 Like

Update 1.1 rescheduled, all looking nice so far just an additional testing and packaging week :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was running into issues building the project after checking it out on github it my mac m1 pro; here’s a PR with a link to the walkthrough on installing pyadio.

Neat project, btw, looking forward to your 1.1 release. Out of curiousity, how attached are you to tk? I could cut a PR that shows off Textualize, a native Python TUI (text based interface) as an alternative UI to tk. Its cross platform (Windows/Linux/Mac) and super slick.

If you wanted some dev infra ergonomics on your project, I could cut a PR that adds a virtualenv or poetry or pipx to the project so that things like pip install python mido aren’t targetting the global Python install :wink:

Hey thanks!

I will check out the PR tomorrow. You can also find the packaged binaries under the release tab. I had at least one reply that it worked on mac.

Keep in mind there are two versions. The free version is not actively developed as Iḿ focusing on the pro version all the time. Its almost a complete rewrite and like 10 the code and features so far. That is the 1.1 that is released hopefully this week. I have a hard time to stop adding small comfort features etc.
https://app.raise-uav.com

TK just the most lightweight(dependency) and direct at the time. Feel free to adapt to anything you want.

Some kind of Python environment would be great. On Manjaro it defaults to a user install so its not much of a global influence but it wold certainly be a good practice for the majority.

I probably should have started another thread for the pro version.

Re: 1.1 release of pro, ah, that makes sense now :slight_smile: Thank you. I’ll prob stay away from hacking on the free one since the focus of your work is on the pro version (and the codebases will have diverged). Will go purchase the pro one now, cheers!

1 Like

Yes, its a lot different now and modular enough so that I can replace the current free version with the new code and most of the advantages some day.

Purchases always give me a good portion of motivation. Happy developer noises :smiley:

Ordered! I can beta test the 1.1v of the software on my M1 Pro when its ready, if that helps.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Yes, that would help tremendously. I’ll probably buy a used mac mini solely for testing purposes, with a full workflow, as soon as possible.

1 Like

And hopefully an iPad one day :smiley:

Yes, one day when the main program is feature complete, I’ll look into it.

1 Like

UPDATE 1.1 is live :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Update 1.2!

Manual is updated with device settings for the OP-Z and tips for when the wave files are empty etc on mac.

Changelog: - Fixed “no device connected” bug on Mac - Implemented update notification system - Fixed device assistant on Windows - Improved thread handling - Many thanks to Duŝan Kreidl and others for providing feedback for Mac!

3 Likes

Quick question. Does this record each part before the tape+master or after?

Its adjustable as an exclude in the recording settings of ubridge.

All excludes on means everything is raw without audio or midi effects.

Just bought the app this morning. First off congrats on this man. A 15$ app is a life-saver for Opz - I was very loud advocate of module for 8 track USB output, but as we are not getting that this is almost just as good.
I knew how to do this manually, but the process is PITA, and its gets tiresome after a while.

I only heard about this today, and well - I’m really amazed and thankful man!

Unfortunately, I cant get it to work.

On Mac I have two issues (Ventura OS) - first one, the app isn’t writing to config file. I need to unlock it on every usage. Even if I add manually the token and the serial into the file, the app just doesn’t read from it.
Second issue is that audio files are empty. I’ve noticed that thats a known issue, but I can’t find underbridge app in that list of apps to approve at all, it’s not “offering” it.

Thank you very much appreciate the feedback!

Mac is still a huge problem. It uses up large amounts of ressources on deployment, in bug testing and support currently. Thats because I don´t have a mac and can´t afford one. I luckily escaped windows a few months ago to linux and I’m not looking back to any of these platforms :slight_smile:
On the other hand many users of the OP-Z or producers are on mac and I’m trying my best to support this platform. I don´t have much technical feedback from mac as well and tried to test a few things with a volunteer last night. He had the same problem with the empty audio. That is a problem that was solved with the OS setting with someone else (Thanks Duran). There is no reason I can see the app would record empty files when it not had succesfully initialized. So it is a problem that the OS causes with blocking the app. Thats why you probably can´t write the config as well. Workaround is to set the device and directory and then hit save and after that register in the about section in some cases.

This could probably be solved with a remote session to someone who has this problem. If not it stays a huge blackbox that I’m flying in mostly blind.

Weirdly enough, i had issues with Windows (i have a win laptop as well). I couldn’t get Underbridge to recognise Op-z at all.

Good news is I found a workaround on Mac and it worked.

For everyone else :
The only way I made it work fully is to run ubridge from inside the terminal.
It’s located inside ubridge-pro.app/Contents/MacOs/
When you launch it from Terminal, Mac will ask to give permission to microphone - and I did and everything worked. Weird thing is Mac gave permission to Terminal not the Underbridge app, but hey I got it to work lol.

I don’t mind the workaround, its not taking me a lot of time, but wanted to feedback where the issue is, it’s something with the mac permissions as you correctly assumed.

One weird thing - don’t know is this something thats issue in Mac or the app.

Wavs are ok in terms of quality, but the order is weird - 1st beat of the bar in the wav file is actually placed on the last 16th beat. So when I run all the wavs on loop they are in sync, but i have to manually rechop them to look normal so to speak. Does anyone else had this issue?

Thats a very important information. Windows does this too. You have to specifically enable the op-z as i put in the audio settings and it keeps disabling it for some weird reason.

I’ll see if I can actively ask the OS for permission to these devices maybe.

The one binary that is included should also work well when launched with right click → launch in terminal.