Nanoloop Mono (Analog Synthesizer Circuit)

Seems that the direct out is approx 4db hotter than prosound post pot.

i wish they would just make a dedicated device...

I’d like to think he’s gearing up to something like that. There’s a lot more to think about though, and yeah as drybones said, part of the charm is using a game boy for it.
I think the next step could probably be a cart with a physical audio out on it, or a few (one per channel!), to bypass the DMG amp altogether, as darenager discovered above.

Oh! I just realised I can probably do a mod like that on my GBC; even though oliver said the GBC doesn’t sound good for mono, a direct out should sound the same?

^ Yes GBC or Pocket should sound same as DMG since we are taking the output direct from the cart :slight_smile:

I think I may end up doing that… or getting a GBP or something :smiley:

Might even work on a GB Boy colour clone!

I have a couple of GBP but I don’t like the form factor, shame because the screen is a lot better than even a biverted dmg I think.

I just got a GBP on ebay! A silver one to go with my elektrons :smiley:

I did think about the GB Boy option; apparently though, according to a teardown video they have a switch in the cart slot that wouldn’t be triggered by the nl mono cart—the switch is to toggle between the internal games on flash memory and the game on the cart.

My nanoloop mono is at the post office, today I’m gonna pick it up.
Can’t wait to try it! :smiley:

Mine is… somewhere. None of the other chip guys from AU have got theirs yet either so I’m not too worried yet, just HURRY UP POSTAL SYSTEM hnnng

Should be easy enough to defeat the GB Boy switch with a mod?

You guys are gonna love NL Mono - be sure to post your jams in this thread :slight_smile:

First try with nl mono today:
Sound great!
Tried also in sync with a monotribe as slave and it works nicely :wink:
Definitely a keeper.
Great job Oliver, as always :smiley:

waitwaitwait. i dont have to use a DMG. i convinced myself not to buy it because its recommended for the DMG and not my pocket(long live the pocket!!!) i can just take the main audio out fromm the cart itself? thats amaze balls. i think im going to buy this!

so using this cart on pocket is ok>?

From the official site:

Compatibility

DMG (original Game Boy)
OK, clean and bassy
Game Boy Pocket works, but less bass, more hiss, whine
Game Boy Color works, but very little / distorted bass, a lot of hum and whine
Game Boy Advance doesn’t work, cart won’t even boot

Allthough amplitudes are the same as with internal sound, with nanoloop mono’s softer characterisic, differences in audio quality are more noticeable.
Some improvement is possible by adding capacitors to the Game Boy’s main board (“bass mod” and “noise filter mod”). However, GB Pocket will still produce a high-pitched whine and GB color will still hum and distort basses.

In conclusion, only the original Dot Matrix Game Boy can be recommended.

@masterofstuff124 I would not recommend soldering to the cart, it is easier to solder to the cart port pins.

Here is another instajam I did tonight https://instagram.com/p/BMKeedIgrBs/

grrr… mine came today but now my dmg is acting funcked: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMKhfdPADEI_d9I1iCnZgPv6g5CGqawg_lP7t00/

any seasoned gameboy gurus got any ideas?

@drybones clean that shit!

i blasted it with compressed air… what else?

deoxit or electronics cleaner and q tips works good.

@drybones does it work ok with other carts? Did you try leaving it on for a while?

it was working earlier with my nl 1.7.x cart but now it’s not working with anything (it’s the only other cart i have)

Seems like the cart port has either a loose connection or debris inside, have a look with a torch to see if any problem there, personally I would not spray anything in there.