New OP-1 Field šŸ˜®

I would imagine they would have turned it up for presentation purposes, but did you happen to look at the screen brightness control?

Would you say the speaker w/passive radiator is actually usable now? The OG was (for me) certainly not even an option.

I believe it was as bright as it could go? It just doesnā€™t appear to have much contrast.
It was outside, but under a tent in relative shade, and I still had to put my hand over it a lot.
Even then, viewing angles, to me at least, were not great. (Bear in mind it wasnā€™t a controlled environment!) But, it was something that instantly struck me nonetheless.
Regarding the speaker; yes, I think itā€™s far more ā€˜usableā€™ now. (But stillā€¦ physicsā€¦ etc)
However, itā€™s not as much of a joke as the OG-OP1. It has some relatively decent bass response from the passive radiator on the side. You can feel it on a table, for example, and it sounded okay and loud enough, even with a lot of ambient noise. It was a very noticeable improvement. Drums may still be an issue.
Iā€™d say you could jam in a field no problemā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone confirmed the memory / storage specs?

The TE website indicates 256mb of ā€œinternal memoryā€, which I presume means RAM. The OG had 64mb.

Any insight as to the internal flash storage? The original had 512mb. Given the ability to store projects is basically 8x, Iā€™d presume there is a spec jump there as well. Maybe 1GB or more?

Also, on the TE website, in the images showing the leather wrap, it shows the OP-1F has a cooling/fan vent on the side. This was not present in the original OP, and I suspect is a sign that this unit generates a lot more heat due to the increased power.

You are able to change the brightness of the screen. Maybe the one you had in hand was not set to 100% brightness :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Arne. I saw 3 units side by side. All were set at max brightness and all appeared too dim (to me!).

3 Likes

That would certainly be an option. To listen in mono, youā€™d have to get an adapter though.

I caved and ordered one. Guess in about 45 days weā€™ll see whatā€™s up. Thatā€™s a LONG time to wait. Not getting rid of my OG op-1 though. Still use it almost every day.

4 Likes

Oof, I was wondering what wait time would be lol.

Mmmmm. The only thing i can think of is a demo unit. But yeah we will see once they ship! Hope to recieve mine soon :slight_smile:

2k gets u a mac fanboy

Yes it does, but I guess they wanted to spend their money on what they wanted to spend their own money on.

4 Likes

I doubt itā€™s a fan, Itā€™s likely a passive bass port or even a subwoofer.

Iā€™m not sure - I wasnā€™t thinking of listening in mono, just making one stereo track into two mono tracks to make extra tape tracks - similar to what you have in a DAW, some tracks are mono some stereo.

Personally Iā€™m holding back my judgement on TE until they do or donā€™t release a FW update for the OGP1, containing whatever low hanging fruit from the Field list thatā€™s possible given the hardware specs. For instance donā€™t tell me that ā€˜click to holdā€™ sequencer isnā€™t portable over.

If they do this, then to me thatā€™s respecting the old unit as far as is possible. If they donā€™t, then they fully move into Apple-style ā€˜fuck you, dump that old version in the trash and buy the new unit if you want to playā€™ territory. And at which point they can do one. After all, isnā€™t that kind of behaviour precisely why so many people avoid DAWs and the forced upgrade path?

@MichaalHell As you are a beta tester for the OP-1 Field, i would like to know your opinion about the display.

Is it bright enough?
Is it crisp? Or the same as the OG OP-1 / OP-1 V2?

Itā€™s important to keep in mind that both hardware are completely different.
So they canā€™t just take a piece of code and put it on the other one.
If OP-1 OG still gets updates, it will mean TE chose to spoil their fan base, basically for free (or to show they far from despise their customers).
But I would expect OP-1f and maybe OP-Zf to be the center of their attention for the months comingā€¦

2 Likes

Much crisper and seeing as the graphics sit right at the front of the screen now itā€™s much more accessible as well. Brightness I would say is the same, but again with the screen being higher up then the OG it helps in that department as well.

Edit: just to iterate i have the Op-1 OG v2

5 Likes

Thanks. Really looking forward to recieve mine :star_struck::innocent:

Wow ! Thatā€™s really interesting - I hadnt realised that - do you have any references?
(I had just made a naive assumption that they had used a later generation (but probably same family) of MCU, new DAC and peripheral ICs but that the microcode of the MCU would be similar and the higher level code would have been recompiled for the latest hardware! I had assumed this as a lot of the synthesiser models and UI were quite similar so had again assumed they had reused code. So I had thought that (if there was flash space) they could add some extra functionality to the OG one (from the field) if they wished.

But Iā€™m sure you have more information or you woouldnt have been so explicit! Thatā€™s really interesting ! Thanks for the inside info !

1 Like

Hard to tell exactly where I got that, the pieces I gathered were mainly from Elektronauts and videos from SuperBooth22.

Thereā€™s this post from ex-Elektron @Ess though:

This, and the fact that @ONE and other people explained the whole audio path was stereo + 32bits fixed point, from inputs sampling to synth/sample player engines and FX.
Whereas OP-1 OG was 16bits/mono.

So yeah, I am not sure weā€™ll see OP-1f features on OP-1 OG.

4 Likes