OG-1 Constant Clicks When Recording With New Firmware

Yeah I was initially quite happy they said people were going to look into it and seemed to suggest they were aware of the issue but then I thought about how it was a year between the last two updates and it wasn’t fixed so I was curious if we were waiting another year for maybe fix and when I asked they were like we’ve already responded to you and you have two tickets open. I responded to say I had two tickets open because on the first ticket they were like don’t worry, we fixed the loop crossfade issue and when I responded to say it has nothing to do with looping they didn’t respond to that.

Hey Audivit,
I just realised the only times I’m sure I have the constant clicks I was coming from headphone outs with stereo aux lead. I’m gonna try mixing that up a bit.

How do you hook up your analog in? In a variety of ways?

P.S. Have you made a TE support ticket lately? :slight_smile:

1 Like

All this to me doesn’t matter much as if I unplug everything and record from the internal microphone or radio, I still get the clicks.

The only way to avoid clicks is to record using internal synths, in other words avoiding the analog to digital conversion.

I’ll send a new ticket later, this will probably become my Monday routine!

1 Like

Thanks Audivit,
If you’ve whittled it down to an OG-1 with nothing plugged in then it’s defo ADC related.
I’m not going to test anymore. Just concentrate on encouraging everyone who cares to make a proper TE support ticket about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got this today from TE support, they assure me that my report has been sent to the development team, and also they mention that some other users are reporting the same issue, which is a good news.

3 Likes

Great news. I would like to thank you for your report, on behalf of all OG-1 owners.

I guess we just wait now? :confused:

1 Like

Thank you guys for your support, after all we are the OG-1 owners and it’s our responsibility to make us be heard, loud and proud.

But waiting haven’t got us anywhere so lets keep this topic up and running, I’ll still ask for updates on the subject once every couple weeks.

I can’t wait to have this issue addressed and finally be able to enjoy the new firmware improvements without these annoying clicks!

2 Likes

Nice to see this getting some traction. I have an REV2 with the issue only happening with usb connected and recording mic or external source. I’ll attach my latest (rather frustrating) exchange with the support…I think I’ll write another ticket at this point

I contacted Siedler (a really nice guy) and he said he has no clue…

The most important bit for what we’re talking about is Have you downgraded to a pre USB audio firmware then done the same thing? Me and Audivit are adamant we are experiencing an issue that was introduced in #243 and continues in #245.

If you can observe the exact same setup without snap crackle and pop with firmware before #243 then you can say definitively that whether or not the issue is contingent on some hardware design issue, there is something about #243 and #245 software, probably the USB audio implementation, that is making the crackle/click/pops happen.

This is what I have observed so I will continue to insist TE need to use #246 to fix a problem introduced in #243.

Yeah I don’t think we should just wait. We need to encourage anyone who is getting clicks to downgrade to a pre #243 firmware and see if, everything else being equal, the clicks go away. I’ve cycled through firmware repeatedly with a very simple identical recording setup and I am certain the issue only happens on USB audio firmwares.

1 Like

Actually got a response on time frame.
Read between the lines and it says this in not a priority for them.
I believe the software is highlighting an engineering fault that means everyone with an OG-1 can get their money back if they can’t fix it, which they can’t because they would have to make a redesign of an old product.

1 Like

I don’t think most of us want their money back, at least I don’t, all I want is a clicks free ADC.

The problem might be firmware and correlated with an hardware design weak spot, but even this being the case it will be most likely fixable via firmware update, while they can’t fix the shortcomings of the hardware design they can certainly work around them.

In the worst scenario they should at the very least give us the ability to disable the USB audio thing.
(if that turns out to be the culprit).

I doubt anyone wants their money back. I don’t. In the worst case I’ll be stuck on old firmware. I’m just speaking to the legal position of a company that makes equipment with such faults. In the worst case for TE they are lucky they now have other products.

If OP-1 was their only product, then fixing this would be their top priority because they could be liable to replace/refund all units.

I don’t know what the thresholds are or which countries cover this kind of thing but I believe a device with an engineering fault is covered beyond normal warranties in countries with good legal systems.

Maybe a little patience and a little trust? They will fix it.

2 Likes

I’ve the first op-1, bought new from Amazon a few years ago. It’s on 243. Not used it for quite a while but just did a line-in recording. Zero clicks/pops. Which I find funny as every other TE device I own all have serious flaws.

1 Like

I wrote TE as well and got this answer:

2 Likes

There are people who were using their OG-1s when #243 came out and it messed up their recording. Those people waited over a year for #245 which did not fix it. I’ve been told by TE “all of our developers are busy working on current and future products”.

Patience would be folly, and as they are open about their priorities trust doesn’t come into it. TE are now big enough they don’t need to worry about this issue unless it affects them financially.

If you have had to deal with Apple beyond just asking them if you can please buy a current product then you should understand.

I should add that I don’t want an OP-1 Field, I massively prefer the build and the style of the OG-1. So I want to enjoy the latest improvements but still be able to use my OG-1 the way I used it for about 7 years before #243, as a little four track, which is what I bought it for.

That’s good to hear Jim. There may be a part or manufacturing tolerance that means this won’t happen for everyone. Sometimes there are parts that can be substituted within one model that may seem or claim to be equivalent but behave differently. We have at least three people here who have been back and forth with the same setup and get constant clicks on the last two firmwares and not the previous ones.

1 Like

The more the merrier. This should’ve been fixed over a year ago.

Here’s the latest response:

2 Likes