OP-Z Battle 001

OK, here goes!

The theme for the first OP-Z battle is 1.

The rules:

• Only the OP-Z is to be used, no external effects or sequencing.

• Only one pattern. Use step components and the Master track to to get as much from one pattern as possible.

• Only the plugs from slot number one can be used. If you’ve swapped these for new ones, I’ve made a list of the factory defaults at the end of the post so you know which ones to use.

• Minimum length is one minute, to be in keeping with the theme, but longer is perfectly fine. If you can make a one-pattern song that stays interesting for five minutes, do it.

• Any effects, tape scratches, and pitch bending are fine.

• Recordings should be made straight out of the 3.5mm jack into whatever recording device you have. No post-processing. Just a straight recording into an iPhone, a computer, or whatever. Upload to your platform of choice — SoundCloud, YouTube, etc. Anything, as long as you can embed it in the forum and we don’t have to click away to listen.

• Deadline one month — let’s say 13th April, which is a Saturday.

These are (I think) the factory default plugs in position 1. Please correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll edit the list. I’m pretty sure I didn’t change them since I got the OP-Z.

• Kick - Z-Kicks
  • Snare - Z-Snares
  • Perc - Z-Perc
  • Sample - Z-FX
  • Bass - Saw
  • Lead - Volt
  • Arp - Saw
  • Chord - Shade

Let’s go!

8 Likes

Great idea! I’m in

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear what you guys come up with. No Op-z here, but will be watching / listening with interest :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope that I will get my OP-Z back from TE soon to join to the battle, it looks very challenging and fun, but this is the fourth week without my OP-Z.

Love this. Just got this to be my shirt-pocket sequencer as I travel a ton. Will be a great forced tutorial to really squeeze the most out of the components.

2 Likes

Count me in, great rules!

Is it limited to what is put down on the sequencer? For example, if tape tricks were played live, or parameter changes were changing over the course of the track, but not automated, would that violate the rules?

1 Like

That’s a good point. It seems that the spirit of the battle says no live manipulations. It’s meant to stretch what you can do with one pattern and the sequencer.

How about no live trigger changes, nor parameter changes. But live tape effects are ok, because they don’t sound nearly as cool when sequenced.

And to follow on, no punch-in effects, for the same reason.

Reasonable?

I second that!

What about recorded punch in effects on the performance channel that can be muted/unmuted?

I guess muting is a legit way to extend a single pattern. So as long as the punch in effects are sequenced, then they’re fine.

I also didn’t realize you could sequence punch-in effects. I’m totally going to try that now!

2 Likes

The sequencing of the punch-in track is a very powerful feature, I used it in one of my songs to fill 8 bars of punch-in effects, setting the track speed at 8, now with the new firmware you can sequence 16 bars! That’s crazy, you can add a lot of variety to just one pattern.

3 Likes

This battle is already teaching me great stuff!

1 Like

Yeah, just tried this, how crazy is that! Even muting the punch-in track track works fine! Now, adding a few step components (trigger sparks, jumps) on there would be even more the bomb.

1 Like

Step components on the master track would be amazing for one-pattern songs.

1 Like

Count me in!

It’s a peaceful, quiet Friday night at home. I just installed new speakers on my livingroom bookshelf. It’s the perfect night to make a pattern and record something nice. Here is my submission, recorded direct to Tascam DP-006, no fancy stuff, just how like it. Took advantage of mute groups, sequencing the key on the master track, and the performance track.

2 Likes

Nice and chilled!

I’m in!! Just for the record, mute groups are allowed???