OP-Z EXOTIC Connectivity Tricks

i dont have code for MiDi wired to ESP32. in my demonstration i wire LEDs directly to the MiDi jack and it blinks when ever there is a midi signal. (set only track 1 and 2 to output MiDi).
you can try it your self, take a midi jack and press LED to tip and mid.

where are examples of code online, how to add wired midi to ESP32, but than still, you have to code all the functions. I never took that direction🤷‍♂️
so for wired connection i recommend my CVmultipleXed code.
i advise you to wire the out put to an infrared remote of your LED-strip, and it will trigger buttons.

I can not share my code for bluetooth MiDi just yet. im working with other people on this project right now(adding velocity and CC, optimizing fast polyphony). i will let you know when its finished :wink:

how ever , here is something to inspire you:

his code in the video description, give him a like :+1::pray:.
its a very basic code, but it will get you up and running :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good stuff @FunkyJunky I have a few projects in mind at some point, I have some ESP32, BBC microbit, and a rpi pico, if I ever get around to doing anything I will post it in here.

1 Like

thanks darenger :smile:
i think you might me on to something with micro bit !
unlike arduino IDE and ESP32, its easy to code, and it has already necessary MiDi frame work built into its SDK. i encourage you to try it out with MiDi. share your results, im very interested !

maybe wireless controller for op-z :thinking: or even po

…ehh i wish i had micro bit, this looks fun :space_invader::

1 Like

in this set up it analyzes sound output (mono), it possible to rewire to analyze the sound input. if you set it in stereo mode you can wire it to
show input and out put .

its a simple module, no codling required. easy to power, plug and play :wink:
61ACsaMpFbL.AC_SX355
you can attach power-in as well as audio-in from these pins
i can only use this setup with headphones or external seakers. because po thinks its always plugged into headphones. how ever it possible to change.
maybe with more twicking its possible to add support for analyzing input as well as output.

:warning: make sure to attach positive and negative correctly, mistake in connection has eventually killed this po :skull_and_crossbones: :warning:

or
just google this thing, internet is full of them :wink:
maybe audio lvl is not the most practical thing to monitor, but its very bright and adds to the show factor.

5 Likes

lol
this is must be most easy mechanical arpeggiator !
directing 5v from MiDi to trig, and it works :joy:

2 Likes

example of simple relay to cv.
you can have multiple relays and set trigger at different voltages.
best use for switching more power-hungry stuff.

1 Like

Have a look on youtube at Captain Credible he makes some really cool music stuff with the microbit, that is where I found out about them.

1 Like

You could make a cable with a switch to manually step :wink:

1 Like

for sure ! It opens tons of possibilities involving all kinds of switching mechanisms.

here is ir sensor. works with any remote.
if you set up project with trig in mind.

… if i had bit more time today, i would have made laser → light sensor switch :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

“L” connectors can make 3axis positioning gimbal.

1 Like

Very exotic i will dp them alll!

1 Like

i made a module for op-lab based on TY24D wireless micro controller.

i also made 3 modular connector jacks for it:

on the back is a sync button, indicator LED, and optocouplers logic gate, provides 6 outputs.
no battery, powered by op-lab MiDi connector.
fully covered in transparent resin, waterproof.
so its basically plug and play !

it looks like a squid :squid:
and it can sync to multiple receivers.
for testing purposes i have connected outputs to LEDs, but output can be attached to anything (relay, po,…)
demo in sequence:

wiring schematic is a mess

2 Likes

I have made a 6 outputs receiver for TY24D transmitter.

outputs are (6w 12v) led units, that produce a crazy amount of light. one unit is as bright as 5m led-strip. i have only 3 led units (have to order more).
output can be live or sequenced. track 14 control channel. output triggers are knobs 1,2 and note on/off.

…works with a 3v lipo with built in bms and usb c (charge, discharge and pass true)
components are covered in a resin that changes colors when temperature changes.

modular 3.5 mm connectors can give many varieties of setups

its tricky to film from up close, the light is so bright it glitches camera exposure.

it was a nightmare to solder it all together.

3 Likes

That’s very encouraging :sweat_smile:

Joke aside, your work on these is awesome!

1 Like

thank you Bichuelo :pray: i do want to encourage people., but its got a bit frustrating, so lesson learned;)
——————————————————————

hidden controls
if you send this code F000207601060601401F1FF7 via midi into op-z, a strange perimeter interface will be activated.
its some kind of global FX perimeter that changes pitch of some channels.
its kinda fun to make live glitches, but it can not be sequenced.
i have configured key C4 to trigger this code when pressed.

i think this function is part of fx track(13), but instead of punch in effect it gives knob values to play with. this is not tape track.
does anyone know what it is or did i miss something in the user manual ?

update:
F0002076010600401F1F00F7
this code will switch back into normal mode.
i have mapped this code to trigger when key D4 is pressed.

:warning: BACKUP YOUR PROJECTS, these perimeters are not user friendly and may affect EVERY project at the same time.

…trying to brute force code for REC button toggle…

4 Likes

so far this is just a concept
but attacking TY24D to gate of op-lab offers some cool functionality. you can play it like a stylophone or a guitar. have track6 repeating same note when trig, and track12 to modulate the note.

you can ground it to the strings of a real guitar and play with a metal pick, and maybe set beat track into trig mode so that when you hit snares of your guitar the beat will progress…

even though its wireless, the radio signal doesn’t have a complicated encoding, so i didnt notice any lag, even by triggering very fast.

2 Likes

trig guitar module
easy to make, no electrical components !

icecream sticks and UV resin

:magnet: neodymium magnet inside, to hold metal pick while in idle.

conductive pick, also modular

works on electric maze principle

6 Likes

trig music box

made entirely out of ice cream sticks and resin.

mouse scroll wheel encoder as trig mechanism.
dont be scared of it, treat it like a rotating button

tx24d is a driver. its a dumb garage door system so battery last a very long time !

back opens battery compartment and replaceable driver chip

receiver is on modular jumper connectors and covered in clear resin

i dont recommend using 3D printing or CNC for this. it took me 6hours to brain storm, design and put together this whole thing. using any type of CAD would have taken 2 days, measuring, slicing and twicking hardware. probably would have lost interest in finishing the project on day1,5

… also its very fun to combine this system with other tricks, like motion track, dmx, photomatic, midi out and more.
i dont think i need playdate anymoreimage

7 Likes

sick inventions from your side all the time.

that’s really inspiring and I like your attitude to finish all of that, even tho it looks bonkers, the ideas are great!!

keep em coming :yellow_heart:

1 Like

thank you Johnny :pray:
i really do hope to inspire people into expending the possibilities of the hardware, why let TE have all the fun ?:joy:

mechanical LFO motion vibrato

i dont have technical drawings for this project.
ice cream sticks are great for consistent size parts.
im sure this mechanism can be improved and can be executed in many ways.

4 Likes