OP-Z External Input

Once my setup was working, it worked with anything I hooked it up to. I donā€™t remember the full list, but it included vintage and new devices (303, Digitone), and different levels (line outs, headphones, Eurorack). I had the ā€˜VU meterā€™ on the OP-Z registering very quiet sources and very loud ones on connection, didnā€™t seem to matter.

I think, based on my experiences, that the OP-Z is deciding whether or not to pass the audio to the sampler when the jack is inserted - but I donā€™t know how itā€™s deciding this. I did wonder if having a signal playing when you connected made a difference, but I couldnā€™t arrive at a consistent answer. Iā€™ll get back to it, though - even though I got it working, Iā€™d still like to know why itā€™s working.

1 Like

I think, based on my experiences, that the OP-Z is deciding whether or not to pass the audio to the sampler when the jack is inserted

Yes, for instance, the sequence
1.) Turn on the OP-Z without splitter connected
2.) Activate the splitter input with [screen + shift]
3.) Plug in the splitter with field recorder connected
4.) Press play on the field recorder

also works for me. The OP-Z seems to decide based on the signal of the field recorder which mode to select, either when the OP-Z is turned on with the source connected or when the splitter is inserted with the source connected. For instance, if I first plug in the splitter, activate the splitter input and then plug the field recorder into the splitter, I can hear the signal, but it is not passed to the mic/sampling system.

2 Likes

Have anyone tried sampling over usb from iphone?

I think the problem is it doesnā€™t really work :slight_smile: technically itā€™s not a supported feature and some people have got it working through a, by chance, cable/startup procedure but really it doesnā€™t work, at least in a reliable way. My guess is they might be able to fix it in software to be more forgiving with audio setups, but for now Iā€™m going to stick to usb. I did hear if you have a field recorder with a usb audio interface like the tascam dr40x that works with usb mode and it MIGHT be possible to pass through audio live from the inputs to the OP-Z, but that was not confirmed.

Yes this works fine, apple camera connection cable to TE usb cable, easy peasy.

1 Like

@ghoder Thanks again for the write up. Happy to report that it works as described. Thanks! Now off to learn the art of Sampling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad that it worked! Have fun!
Btw, was using the internal mic for sampling and beat making with found sounds on the go today. Very nice also!

Just confirmed the method @jesiah recommended as I just got an h4n today by complete coincidence.

Tested with my other adapters and was disappointed to find that the ā€œHeadset Buddyā€ does not work, which is unfortunate since it claims to include circuitry to optimize line levels for headset inputs, but this possibly causes the very issue preventing it from working?

At any rate, Iā€™m more convinced that the issue is with the signal, but cannot explain why @Mistercharlie was able to overcome his issues w/ an extension cable.

1 Like

Got a (dirt) cheap TRRS-splitter from wish.com to test in addition to my iRig1. Works great. Only tested with Micro cassette player as input.

1 Like

ordered the black one works fine.
screen and shift seems to enable external mic globally. yellow LED on the side, lit to reflect this mode.
Lifting the device from horizontal to vertical and pressing screen enables onboard mic but only while screen is held. perfect for saying something really dumb mid set.
seems to work regardless of plugging in order maybe newer firmware feature.
so yah regular old splitter mic/heaphone works just fine?
i do have an irig somewhere and other cables on the way but comically the cheapest option and first to arrive works fine.
i used a really shitty lavalier mic 99c for a computer. ill be trying some better options in the future. the onboard mic sounds fine to me aswell.
no gain controls over global external or gyro activated mic though. havent read into the screen section though so not sure.

Hey, so you are using an iRig to get an instrument level signal is, is that correct? Can you tell us a bit about what your signal source is that your sampling and signal chain? And can you use the iRig without the TRRS splitter? Lastly, do you need to use the Apple headphones to engage the button / input?

Iā€™ve invested a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what will and what will not work with the TRRS input in relation to the new sampling feature. Iā€™ve tried a number of different cables and adaptors. So far, I havenā€™t gotten anything to work with it. Even the Apple headphones donā€™t engage when you press the button on the headphones. It never switches from the built-in mic when I plug in a TRRS mic. And TEā€™s guide about pressing Screen + Shift does not seem to do anything. Is this a bug? Thoughts?

1 Like

Have you tried cleaning your minijack port? And is sampling through the onboard microphone functional? And can you sample over USB?

Walk me trough your process of trying to sample. From turning on the power.

Thanks for your reply. Check out this video tutorial I made for what works and how I do it https://youtu.be/ycq-3mAXCH0

In short, I can sample via built in mic, and via USB audio. Pressing Screen + Shift doesnā€™t do anything. And connecting the TRRS mic via Apple headphones doesnā€™t do anything. I pressed the button on the Apple headphone, but nothing happens. I pressed Screen + Shift after connecting the headphone/mic, and nothing happens.

I havenā€™t tried cleaning the connector, I can try that. But really, Iā€™ve spent a lot of time troubleshooting why this doesnā€™t work and I can only conclude that either something is wrong with my device, or this feature was not fully resolved.

Well. Try cleaning your jack first. I used to have lint-extravaganza in old phones, made headset funtionality very wonky. Will film a demo of sampling and post here. Both with the iRig and the cheap splitter I just got.

Also, maybe try a factory reset of the OP-Z?Remember back up stuff before of course.

Cool. Iā€™ll try a factory reset (after backing up the unit). Thanks for your help.

I am curious about your success and workflow with the iRig. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing more.

iRig is for sampling electric guitar directly(processed by FX-pedals). Plug pedalboard directly into iRig, press screen and shift at the same time to enable input(headphones also connected to iRig). iRig without any splitter. I create a new sample slot on a free track, press rec + stop to enable rec mode, loop something with my looper pedal. sample that by holding rec.

Ive never really cared about levels, if that makes sense? Never had any issues with it and I run stuff that probably should not be run directly into other stuff.

1 Like

Cool. thanks for that info. From what I can tell about the iRig, the biggest benefit to using it is that you can get instrument level signals into it, as you have with your pedal board. Have you tried running any other sources into the iRig?

Yes, my trusty dictaphone.

I am not really sure what is on the inside of the iRig1, I thought it was just a fancy splitter with a guitar jack sized input. But I might be totally wrong :wink: