OP-Z External Input

Like this?

lol I have that device - what would I use this for? I was going to use it on my microphone input on my rc505 but my pick up on my guitar is shit and I am using way too much gain on that so the whole system is going up too much for this impedance attenuator to be of any use - I also use the opz live with the rc505 but want to start putting the headset mic into the opz through an irig 2 with a volume control so perhaps I would need this in the chain too?

so you don’t need an irig 2?

I want to know if with the irig 2 I can connect a headset mic and also a line out so I can live loop with the opz and voice

1 Like

Hey, so that device I mentioned is specifically for going from line level to mic level. Its an example of a device that can properly attenuate a line level signal into mic level. The iRig2 is designed to handle instrument level signals, not line level. I know people are going direct or using splitters and stating that it works. Is it shortening the lifespan of the device? Are there any long term repercussions? I don’t know. Since TE warned against using line level directly into the OPZ, then users are doing so at their own risk. For me personally, I’m ok avoiding the TRRS input and using USB audio to sample. It’s not as useful as having a line level input, but it is what it is.

With the Boss RC505, as you probably know, there are a number of inputs including mic, line and instrument. So you should be good. If there’s an issue with the pickup on your guitar, you might need to address that first.

Good luck. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Have you looked at my thread here? I Built a 2in/2out TRRS interface for OP Z (works with guitar and line in)

I am actively working a solution i hope to make available to op-z users. Check it out, i’d love your input. This setup works with a mic. I am working on version 2.0, you may find it very useful.

I have seen this. The specs look promising. Is the device passive? What changed in the 2.0 version? And what are you looking to sell them for?

1 Like

It is passive atm. Version 1.2 has volume knobs for inputs and outputs. (still have to get around to taking photos and uploading them). I am throwing around the idea of adding a simple amp circuit on the outputs… maybe idk.
Version 2.0 will have some added mixing capabilities. I’m hoping to have 3 inputs, attenuated for line, mic, and instrument. With some pass thru capabilities so audio can be sent to and from a 4 track or field recorder. That way you can record a little guitar riffing into the 4 track while listening to a sequenced drum beat from the opz, and if you want you can resample the guitar riff into the opz to chop up with the sample sequencer… does that make sense?

the price? hard to say at this point, i want it to be fairly cheap so i have to hammer down a simple to build circuit and then buy my parts in bulk. Decent dual audio pots and other components aren’t that cheap, but i’m hoping for sub 100$. obviously more or less functionality will affect cost to make.

Ideally enough people will show interest that i can develop a PCB schematic to get printed for cheap and lessen the costs.

It seems like an interesting accessory with some promise. My recommendation would be to simplify it to keep costs down. Most sources you would be sampling from would have a volume control of some sort, so the accessory shouldn’t require additional pots. Further, the OPZ has gain control on the input, so the extra gain stage seems unnecessary.

I’m guessing if you created a simple accessory that provides a 1/8" line level input, 1/8" headphone output, 1/8" TRRS input in a simple housing and retailing for around $40, you would sell a ton of them. The smaller the better. Keep it simple, cheap and reliable, with a decent warranty, you could sell a lot of them. Let me know if that seems feasible.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks, its still all a work in progress, i need more feedback on what people would use the most/ get the most out of…
The thing is the difference in line/mic/instrument levels isn’t just the volume or amplitude ie voltage. The impedance of the signals is also drastically different. This is why i would want separate circuits for the 3 inputs rather than just one with a volume (voltage divider) pot.

I’m no electronical engineer, but I agree that the impedance would need to change in order for it to be designed properly. And I would think you could do so with some capacitors easier and cheaper than with potentiometers.

Hit me up if you need feedback. I’ll try to help.

1 Like

no my wording wasn’t clear. I use some electrolytic and mylar film capacitors to get the impedance right but the pots are just to make it an easier to use interface such that the input gain on the opz can be set and the input easily adjustable, again this is all beta testing to see whats the best combo to settle on, i’m not tied to anything.
i’m worried we may be hijacking this thread a bit, if you wanna shoot your thoughts over on my thread

1 Like

I like the direction of the external hub solving the trrs difficulties, while adding input options. A few variations of the product could emerge depending on what buyers want. On one end it’s a simple sturdy I/O hub, but it could evolve into a powered unit that hosts Colour modules that have compressor, EQ, or other tone shaping features for sounds you sample into the Z.

pick up is lr braggs m1 active, doesn’t really pick up body I think i need a k and k multi stereo lead for two pick ups to get percussion, but opz level is something else thanks for response

ok so you can use mic and then send audio out thats pretty cool and monitor in ableton or something, I really want a usb powering opz and connecting midi through to control akai mini mk3 too

Just to confirm, you can hook the OP-Z up to an Eventide MixingLink via TRRS and it works as expected. You can feed audio into the OP-Z from the MixingLink, and also send audio into the Z for sampling.

Bonus: The MixingLink has a headphone jack for monitoring it all.

3 Likes

So mixinglink is a proper digdugdiy I/O with a case? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, only 10x more expensive. And with an FX loop!

MixingLink is more than just that. It’s a pro audio Swiss Army knife. Check out this commercial to see all it can do:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! The Mixing Link works perfectly with the OP-Z.

3 Likes