OP-Z External Input

This was posted by TE on their support FAQ: https://support.teenage.engineering/hc/en-us/articles/360009117200-OP-Z-can-I-sample-a-line-level-signal-from-the-headset-input-using-an-adapter

It includes the warning that “sending a line level signal directly into the headset input can damage your device”.

1 Like

So does that mean we can sample from the headphones out of a synth without a headphone splitter? Wouldn’t that be microphone level? Or no because you need three rings?

Many people believe that an 1/8 connector is an 1/8 connector and disregard signal type. But the signal type is more important than the connector type. A typical mic level signal can be between -60dbv and -40dbv. A typical line level signal is between -10 dbv and +4 dbv. So, connecting a line level signal to a mic input will result in a very hot/strong signal that may distort and use up all your headroom. And it can damage equipment.

Regarding iRig type devices, iRig accepts an instrument level signal which is around -20 dbv. So, running a line level signal into an instrument level input is a much stronger signal than the device is designed for. Although it may pass a signal, it is technically overloading the input. I know there are people who are claiming it works, but you should know its at the risk of damaging your gear. Ideally, signals should be converted to the appropriate level between devices.

2 Likes

So what levels are the outputs of a synth? Both the regular output and the headphone out? And can you use a 1/8" cord to run from the headphone out to the opz without a splitter device?

1 Like

Some info:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/performance-production/louder/whats-the-difference-between-line-and-mic-levels

Looks like the headphone jack on my mixer is going to be handy for this.

I still don’t think it will work, I think you n need a cord with two rings like a apple cord has for it to pick it up. I tried using a regular cord and a headphone out and it wouldn’t see the signal. I’ll try again later.

Can’t you just turn down the volume of your synth or whatever you are sampling? As long as you attenuate it somehow.

headphone outputs are similar to line level outputs, however the impedance is different.

Depending on the synth, it will either output an instrument level signal, line level signal or a headphone signal. And all of them will need to be converted if you want to properly use them on a mic level input.

If you want good audio quality without the risk of damaging your gear, you will need to convert a line level signal to a mic level signal, and this needs to happen via a circuit (passive or active), not a just via wire/connector. Here’s one device that will do this:
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A15LA-Adapter-Converts-Microphone-Attenuation/dp/B0006NMSXS/ref=asc_df_B0006NMSXS/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382507709&psc=1

In this device, the signal is being attenuated by 50db, which makes perfect sense given the difference in signal type (ie mic level = -40dbv to -60dbv, line level = -10 to +4dbv). 50db is a massive difference in a signals strength. And I know the first question will be, ‘can you just turn down the output signal?’ Turning it down by 50db is plausible, yes. In short, you will have a very weak signal coming in and it wont sound as good as converting the signal properly and applying adequate gain staging to your signal. For $35, its not a bad investment to make in you plan on running line level signals into your OPZ on a regular basis.
I hope that helps!

2 Likes

No way… That’s way too much work… I’ll just keep using the built in microphone or my phone… Whatever…

So like… is the general conclusion that line-in sampling via a TRRS is not working or only working for the lucky 1% I’m not having any luck with it

it’s working flawless, but you need a splitter.
the cheap irig knockoffs will do just fine.

this 1% thing was before they released 1.2.8

Like this?

lol I have that device - what would I use this for? I was going to use it on my microphone input on my rc505 but my pick up on my guitar is shit and I am using way too much gain on that so the whole system is going up too much for this impedance attenuator to be of any use - I also use the opz live with the rc505 but want to start putting the headset mic into the opz through an irig 2 with a volume control so perhaps I would need this in the chain too?

so you don’t need an irig 2?

I want to know if with the irig 2 I can connect a headset mic and also a line out so I can live loop with the opz and voice

1 Like

Hey, so that device I mentioned is specifically for going from line level to mic level. Its an example of a device that can properly attenuate a line level signal into mic level. The iRig2 is designed to handle instrument level signals, not line level. I know people are going direct or using splitters and stating that it works. Is it shortening the lifespan of the device? Are there any long term repercussions? I don’t know. Since TE warned against using line level directly into the OPZ, then users are doing so at their own risk. For me personally, I’m ok avoiding the TRRS input and using USB audio to sample. It’s not as useful as having a line level input, but it is what it is.

With the Boss RC505, as you probably know, there are a number of inputs including mic, line and instrument. So you should be good. If there’s an issue with the pickup on your guitar, you might need to address that first.

Good luck. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Have you looked at my thread here? I Built a 2in/2out TRRS interface for OP Z (works with guitar and line in)

I am actively working a solution i hope to make available to op-z users. Check it out, i’d love your input. This setup works with a mic. I am working on version 2.0, you may find it very useful.

I have seen this. The specs look promising. Is the device passive? What changed in the 2.0 version? And what are you looking to sell them for?

1 Like

It is passive atm. Version 1.2 has volume knobs for inputs and outputs. (still have to get around to taking photos and uploading them). I am throwing around the idea of adding a simple amp circuit on the outputs… maybe idk.
Version 2.0 will have some added mixing capabilities. I’m hoping to have 3 inputs, attenuated for line, mic, and instrument. With some pass thru capabilities so audio can be sent to and from a 4 track or field recorder. That way you can record a little guitar riffing into the 4 track while listening to a sequenced drum beat from the opz, and if you want you can resample the guitar riff into the opz to chop up with the sample sequencer… does that make sense?

the price? hard to say at this point, i want it to be fairly cheap so i have to hammer down a simple to build circuit and then buy my parts in bulk. Decent dual audio pots and other components aren’t that cheap, but i’m hoping for sub 100$. obviously more or less functionality will affect cost to make.

Ideally enough people will show interest that i can develop a PCB schematic to get printed for cheap and lessen the costs.