OP-Z External Input

hopefully it drops today :innocent:

Letā€™s hope they remember to update release notes this time.

1 Like

ok! the 1.2.8 OS is up!!

https://teenage.engineering/downloads

Installed successfully

:fire:

@Mistercharlie

1 Like

Great news!!

1 Like

The new update is pretty great. You can now choose between mic, usb, or line-in inputs, as you can also just run these as inputs ā€“ I.e you donā€™t need to be monitoring via the sampler.

Also, usb monitor mode turns the OP-Z into a usb audio interface!

1 Like

yeah, it looks like they addressed some of the items that were rushed in the sampling / usb interface update. And they added the ability to shift octaves on all tracks, which is great.

I just tried with a Tascam iXZ and couldnā€™t make it work. Hopefully will have succesful results in the afternoon with my iRig 2

Iā€™ve tried with a tape Walkman and it worked fine, using one of those splitter adapters.

I love that this lets me use headphones with my iPad.

1 Like

I just tried it with the iRig 2 and it works as a processor

for sampling, pressing Screen + Shift as stated in the guide didnā€™t work

However, if I first use the new Shift + 2 to enable the headset input signal and enter the sampling track afterwards as usual, I can sample using the line input fine

yeah. the selection has priority over the first chosen Input source, which is more practical because you can switch and mix the Input sources before sampling. nice :+1:

Great update! Tried various things today. Not everything worked. However, one of the most usable configurations today was the following:

I connected the stereo outputs of my eurorack mixer to the recording input of a standard splitter.

Pressing screen indicated that the recording source was recognized by the OP-Z: number 2 was lit.
In a nutshell that means that everything that I connect to the mixer module is forwarded to the OP-Z. This allows for convenient sampling or routing an entire mix through the OP-Z and itsā€™ effects.

Connecting my field recorder directly to the adapter also worked quite well. For instance, this allows for conveniently using the field recorderā€™s mic as a source for the OP-Z on the go . Great!

Am wondering if the IRig2 would allow for connecting some non-standard sources, such as eurorack modules, directly to the OP-Z without the need for a mixer / field recorder as a ā€œsignal converterā€.

1 Like

i like the signal indicator aswell and the ability to put everything through the FX.

i wouldnā€™t recommend you to go directly from Hot sources into the Unit, a raw, high level Analog oscillator can be a real damage without a VCA or mixer inbetween. you can try that with a low but increasing level and if it tends to distort you better stop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, indeed! I find it is much safer having a mixer in between for controlling the voltage levels.

1 Like

The iRig 2 only has mono input. I wonder if the OP-Z can accept stereo input?

i noticed that the OP-Z splits the stereo Input when monitoring USB (0) and the onboard mic (1)

:sweat_smile:

It didnā€™t work for me with two different splitter adapters. It did, however, work with the Tascam iXZ, only when I turn the switch mode from off to instrument.

I must say that when that switch is turned off, I am able to use the tuner but not audio processors, which do work on the instrument mode

Edit: It seems Iā€™m wrong, the iXZ does not send line signal when mode is switched to off

I noticed some inconsistency with the inputs, 0 + 1 or 2. In my first test, I recall it working, having 0 plus one of the mic inputs. But then it would mute everything else (1,2, and OPZ sequencer) if 0 was engaged. Did anyone else notice this behavior? Is there an order of operations that is suppose to be followed?

maybe thatā€™s the (beta) Status for nowā€¦

yeah, good point.