OP-Z External Input

It seems like an interesting accessory with some promise. My recommendation would be to simplify it to keep costs down. Most sources you would be sampling from would have a volume control of some sort, so the accessory shouldn’t require additional pots. Further, the OPZ has gain control on the input, so the extra gain stage seems unnecessary.

I’m guessing if you created a simple accessory that provides a 1/8" line level input, 1/8" headphone output, 1/8" TRRS input in a simple housing and retailing for around $40, you would sell a ton of them. The smaller the better. Keep it simple, cheap and reliable, with a decent warranty, you could sell a lot of them. Let me know if that seems feasible.

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks, its still all a work in progress, i need more feedback on what people would use the most/ get the most out of…
The thing is the difference in line/mic/instrument levels isn’t just the volume or amplitude ie voltage. The impedance of the signals is also drastically different. This is why i would want separate circuits for the 3 inputs rather than just one with a volume (voltage divider) pot.

I’m no electronical engineer, but I agree that the impedance would need to change in order for it to be designed properly. And I would think you could do so with some capacitors easier and cheaper than with potentiometers.

Hit me up if you need feedback. I’ll try to help.

1 Like

no my wording wasn’t clear. I use some electrolytic and mylar film capacitors to get the impedance right but the pots are just to make it an easier to use interface such that the input gain on the opz can be set and the input easily adjustable, again this is all beta testing to see whats the best combo to settle on, i’m not tied to anything.
i’m worried we may be hijacking this thread a bit, if you wanna shoot your thoughts over on my thread

1 Like

I like the direction of the external hub solving the trrs difficulties, while adding input options. A few variations of the product could emerge depending on what buyers want. On one end it’s a simple sturdy I/O hub, but it could evolve into a powered unit that hosts Colour modules that have compressor, EQ, or other tone shaping features for sounds you sample into the Z.

pick up is lr braggs m1 active, doesn’t really pick up body I think i need a k and k multi stereo lead for two pick ups to get percussion, but opz level is something else thanks for response

ok so you can use mic and then send audio out thats pretty cool and monitor in ableton or something, I really want a usb powering opz and connecting midi through to control akai mini mk3 too

Just to confirm, you can hook the OP-Z up to an Eventide MixingLink via TRRS and it works as expected. You can feed audio into the OP-Z from the MixingLink, and also send audio into the Z for sampling.

Bonus: The MixingLink has a headphone jack for monitoring it all.

3 Likes

So mixinglink is a proper digdugdiy I/O with a case? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, only 10x more expensive. And with an FX loop!

MixingLink is more than just that. It’s a pro audio Swiss Army knife. Check out this commercial to see all it can do:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! The Mixing Link works perfectly with the OP-Z.

3 Likes

FYI:
The BandLab Link Analog Mini also works with the OP-Z. It can be hooked up via the included (and detachable) TRRS cable, has a 1/4“- Input and a 1/8“-headphone-output to monitor the OP-Z while feeding it with an external signal.
You can control the input gain to tame loud signals (tried it with the bastl Kastle which is loud af). It even helps to use a dry, non amplified guitar with the OP-Z (though it’ll lack headroom without further amplification).

I love the clean and simple design and it’s only 29€. For me it has been the perfect choice and I prefer it over the iRig2 :blush:

5 Likes

is this kinda the same as digdug’s OP-Z TRRS SPLITTER I/O ?
https://op-forums.com/t/op-z-trrs-splitter-i-o/
BandLab thing looks clean, but i think im going to order one from digdug, when they are in stock again. i dunno, digdugs version looks more special, i like the colorfull knobs.

3 Likes

In the end they both do the same, yes. Just like the iRig2 and other alternatives (as long a they are CTIA standard TRRS).
So you’re free to choose whatever suits you best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. How is it powered?

I have one from digdugdiy and very happy with. Meaning to post a little jam with it as use for i/o track. There are some good demos already posted though.

Ehhh, i would pay twice the price for an op-z with a regular built in audio-in connector (like on a pocket operator). how diffecult was it to add an extra hole next to the headphone hole. why does teenage engineering has to make things extra difficult. is so demotivating using a dongle. op-z is not a macbook, its a musical instrument, its a shame they didnt include this feature out the box.
i used to have irig, but lost it, cuz i hatted using it. by the time im done connecting all the cables and adapters (2.5mm to 3.5mm), i dont feel like jamming anymore.

Here is a demo with @docshermsticks opz trrs splitter. The splitter works really well to mix in an external gear and will have a use for sampling too I guess.

3 Likes

As a newbie, I need some guidance on TRRS inputs for the OP-Z. By now I bought three TRRS audio splitter cables (two of them explicitly CTIA) and even a OMTP-CTIA adapter and nothing enabled me to turn on headset input (while my cheap headphones with mic do).

Am I doing something wrong?
Do I really require an iRig2 or similar and cannot use simple splitter cables?
Thanks in advance for any advice! I really look forward to some integrated ø-Coast / OP-Z jamming! (ØP-Z!)

1 Like