OP-Z Firmware Updates.

@python said:
I already did that :slight_smile:

Thanks for submitting the issue. This helps the rest of us ?.
Maybe I was lucky because it worked for me but it only happened once and not 100% of the time like to you.

@TabascoEye there’s 1.1.9 and 1.1.12 through those links, and the first 768 bytes on both appear largely zeroed, except for 0x0070-0x0083, on which just the last byte 0C is the same. files are different length

ps just leaving this here https://www.analog.com/en/products/adsp-bf703.html#product-documentation

via http://boulderhackerspace.com/2018/10/31/teenage-engineering-op-z-teardown/

@python said:
Thanks, but maybe I should have put that differently.
My op-z doesn’t properly leave content mode when I eject it. That means it doesn’t update any files I changed, so I can’t put new samples on it or put my old projects on it after a factory reset.
Turning it off and then on again does not help in this case :frowning:

After you eject it, whilst it is still on, unplug the usb cable, then It should update.

@SLiC said:

@python said:
Thanks, but maybe I should have put that differently.
My op-z doesn’t properly leave content mode when I eject it. That means it doesn’t update any files I changed, so I can’t put new samples on it or put my old projects on it after a factory reset.
Turning it off and then on again does not help in this case :frowning:

After you eject it, whilst it is still on, unplug the usb cable, then It should update.

This is exactly what I’ve been doing. Ejecting it from the computer, computer says its safe to unplug, I unplug the USB cable. Then the LEDs on the op-z don’t change from green to blue. They are stuck on green and nothing is updated. The only thing I can do is turn it off. But this leads to it being in the exact same state as it was before plugging it into the computer. The only thing the worked was going back to firmware 1.1.9. No problems with the old firmware at all.

Can somebody with 1.1.9 file post the link please? :slight_smile:

@skintechnician said:
Can somebody with 1.1.9 file post the link please? :slight_smile:

https://teenage.engineering/_software/op-z/z_firmware_1_1_9.zfw

@cantbeat awesome thank you!!

@python said:
This is exactly what I’ve been doing. Ejecting it from the computer, computer says its safe to unplug, I unplug the USB cable. Then the LEDs on the op-z don’t change from green to blue. They are stuck on green and nothing is updated. The only thing I can do is turn it off. But this leads to it being in the exact same state as it was before plugging it into the computer. The only thing the worked was going back to firmware 1.1.9. No problems with the old firmware at all.

Hello python!

I’ve been having the same issue as you and I just solved it by mistake. After unplugging the op-z from USB I just pressed “play” and it then magically completed the update. I hope you have the same luck if you still suffer from this issue.

1.1.17 is available for download. See OpeningPost for download link.

• add option to disable USB charging with SCREEN+E2 (to remove ground noise)

• improve headphone / line jack detect (solves issues like getting mono with stereo cable)

• add option to keep parameter page when switching track (“disable_param_ page_reset” setting to general.json)

• clear step parameter locks with STEP+STOP

• make temporary parameter changes (holding shift) available for all tracks

• smoother volume knob interpolation

• hard kill active track notes on double press TRACK+STOP

• separate battery animations depending on USB state

• minor bug fixes

https://youtu.be/yRHGkKrQBo8

RTFM

none or less your statements are fake news.

Is he talking about a new firmware update?

For context, this translates to “There will be something tomorrow.” 22 is tomorrow’s date as well.

Oh yeah!

SAMPLE LOOP POINTS…pleeease

Maybe also module release? I hope more than just the CV…waited so long, it doesn’t even seem that cool anymore :smiley:

Last night there seemed to be a video on YouTube, which got banned after some time. I have not seen it myself, but on Facebook I read that it was of a German beta-tester and a (non-native-speaker) said that the following changelog was mentioned:

"- Under the hood improvements to stability and compatibility with other devices

• Improved volume levels from tape and effect tracks

• P+Shift — Copy all tracks functionality

• Preview of last track on FX channel (and adjustments to parameters) improved (did this work at all before?) — Think just improvements or changes to this when playing FX track with shift button held

• Step recording with external midi controller possible, including velocity (K-Board used)

• Velocity programmable individual Arpeggiator steps (by holding a note and using pitch bend on OP-Z)

• Track+Shift+9 = 16 step loop (rather than 9)

• (Drum) samples can be pitched up or down by changing keyboard octave"

All of this seems legit. I think for two months of waiting that would not be too impressive, but still: Improved stability/compatibility and the 16-step loop can make a difference. I’m not yet using external controllers with my op-z, but of course step recording with those (including vel) is also quite nice.

Version 1.1.23 was recently posted:

• allow programming steps with external controller
  • support velocity on arpeggiator track
  • change step length setting 9x to be 16x long
  • add full octave range to drum tracks
  • pass incoming midi start/continue/stop to other ports
  • improved stability
  • copy step now works on all tracks
  • change default tape volume and reverb parameter 2
  • fix noisy resampling in synth sampler
  • keep sending audio to fx1/fx2 if audio muted
  • improve midi continue behaviour (works better with OP-1)
  • change maximum recording note length based on step length
  • show pattern position from solo mute context (same as pattern context)
  • properly reset parameters after releasing shift (temporary tweak mode)
  • “enable_program_change” setting now saved between reboots
  • don’t play trigger driven tracks when muted
  • gate trigger step component trigger on entering step instead of exiting
  • fix hanging notes from linked tracks when pressing shift before releasing note
  • fix hanging punch in notes when releasing shift before releasing note
  • remove track clear wipe animation

https://teenage.engineering/downloads/op-z

1 Like

I just installed it…

Did anyone else notice the speaker being extremely quiet, even when turned up to 11?

I’m wondering if this update will solve the double/triple triggering issue with the buttons :slight_smile: Assuming it’s not a hardware problem.

…no I don’t think it does. It is the way the buttons are made I am afraid.