OP-Z Firmware Updates.

reinstall the old one, probably

Or rerecord with step multiplier 16 and last step set to 9.

1 Like

Hey @TabascoEye, did you get any where else with this? Iā€™ve been looking at it myself and confirmed the firmwares are encrypted. This is what Iā€™ve found so far (apologies if someone else has brought this up, Iā€™m new to the OP-Z scene):

• At offset 0x04 has the value 0xFF, which is referred to as the ā€œkey index.ā€ As far as I can tell, the OP-Z interprets this as a single byte value.
  • At offset 0x70: this is actually not a 20-byte value, but a 16-byte value which specifies the IV used in the encryption process. Not sure the algorithm used, but itā€™s most likely AES. Not sure of the mode either, but CBC or CTR are reasonable expectations according to the BF703 datasheet.
  • At offset 0x80 is a 4-byte value which specifies the ā€œlength.ā€ Iā€™m still trying to determine what this means exactly, as the 1.1.27 firmware has the value 0x0CB94A (833,866 bytes), yet the firmware file is 834,896 bytes.
  • Iā€™ve also found that once the file is decrypted, a zip file should be produced called firmware_bin_only_with_bootloader.zip, at least with the 1.1.27 firmware.

Has anyone else been looking at this? Iā€™m wondering if the key is included with the firmware file or if itā€™s hard coded into the OP-Z itself.

EDITS: Iā€™ve put a similar post on the /r/OPZUser subreddit which Iā€™ve been keeping more up-to-date than here since Iā€™ve gotten more feedback there. I wanted to give an update here though. Iā€™ve confirmed that CBC mode is being used to encrypt portions of the firmware file. When connecting the OP-Z to a computer and put into upgrade mode, a USB serial device is added to the computer. This can be used to view a debug console of sorts. Using this console and making modifications to the firmware file, I was able to use a padding oracle attack. From 0x300, the first few ciphertext blocks here are where the string firmware_bin_only_with_bootloader.zip is stored. The serial console suggests the firmware file from 0x300 to 0x3FF is a standalone encrypted section, but I havenā€™t confirmed this yet.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve made a few more discoveries, but itā€™s probably better to put this all on a wiki instead of keep updating the thread. This will also allow others to contribute. You can find the firmware page at https://github.com/billymeter/rez/wiki/Firmware. Thanks!

3 Likes

keep up the good work dude! @_bt

1 Like

Firmware Update 1.1.28 is online!

https://teenage.engineering/_software/op-z/z_firmware_1_2_28.zfw

• improved cpu performance
  • automatically add and assign the new engines to free slots
  • triple press to lock pattern/mixer/tempo/ screen buttons
  • allow removing factory plugs from slots by holding track + slot
  • changed which plugs are default when creating new pattern
  • fix bug where importing user plugs didnā€™t work directly after factory reset
6 Likes

people on Instagram crying for an OP-1 update aswell :slight_smile:

if we are at it I can say the OP-1 is a great sequencer for Eurorack in combination with the OG oplab but Iā€˜ve discovered some differences in the sequencer sections which means the etch a sketch seq. wonā€˜t output any notes in synth mode but only in drum mode and ARP is the only one which handles different gate lengths.

how many of you are using the OG oplab?

2 Likes

I wonder what the upshot of the improved CPU performance is. Maybe opens the possibility of previously CPU usage prohibitive functions :slight_smile:

Hmm, what does this mean?

I updated to the latest 1.2.28 firmware, then did a factory reset. I connected it to the OP-Z app to verify what engines were installed, and all of them were already on there. I didnā€™t need to drag and drop the new synth engines (e.g. Analog) in this time around, they were already in there. Workflow bonus!

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if its possible to fill every slot with a sample now after the new update? Or how many sample slots can be used in the storage?

Would like to know this too :slight_smile:

@pwenzel, sounds like this function

Somehow after the recent update some of my own sampleslots are getting deleted while in use. Anybody else have this happen?

should be possible ā€žstand-aloneā€œ because now you can delete even synthplugs with track&Slot number.

that was even possible but in order to do so it was only working on a Computer

i guess @tngjonas is cooking a much bigger one and the last two updates seemed like a preparation for that.

Overall CPU performance Leads to more headroom for all engines which makes complex operations definitely more detailed.

on most IOS synths Apps are some features like eco mode or reduced cpu load and especially the Model 15 App makes an audible difference, like filters not so gnarly or Oscillator output not as detailed and so onā€¦

basically it reacts faster and gives a lot more depth to the engines and fx.

1 Like

With this update one of my patterns had massive dropouts on samples and engines, switched back to the firmware before and now everything is good again, no dropouts!! So I think there is a huge downside on the last update with reducing the cpu performance in my case. So TE please tell us that this is a bug and not the way op-z goes now with sacrifying sound-quality for something else!!

you should always backup your OpZ, update the firmware and initially make a factory reset on the new OS, then drop your latest backup.

the overall performance has been raised with 1.2.28 so I guess something different kills your patterns etc

1 Like

Thanks and sorry, that did not work unfortunately:( Tried the steps as you described. Itā€™s the same like before after the update. Itā€™s a clap of the factory Nr. 5 perc track that often just cuts at the beginning of the sample so I can hear only a distorted clicking sound most of the time. When I then for example mute one synth track of the pattern then the normal sound of the clap is coming back again. For me it seems like the op-z is overwhelmed with playing back all the tracks at once now and canā€™t play that track normaly as with the older firmwareā€¦ when I switch to the old version everything is fine like beforeā€¦ no dropouts, clicks on that sample, yea itā€™s just one track in a song but it is important for me! I think itā€™s an issue with the last firmware. op-z eco mode? What do you think?

eco mode is something on IOS Apps to make them work with older devices, otherwise the CPU load would be way to heavy which results in crackling and dropouts.

what about recreating that track on another?

i have a feeling that theres some Modulation or parameter recording behaving differently with the recent update and/or the initial settings.

can you recreate the bug if you add one track after the other to make sure which track kills that one trig? to point it out somehow

thanks again;) if I recreate it the same thing happens, seems that the cpu load is too heavy now in the new firmwareā€¦ if I let out any other track or even the snare on the same track (I have only two snare hits and two claps on that) itā€™s ok and the clap sound does not cut. the weird thing is that the clap cuts randomly most of the time in the loopā€¦ itā€™s the factory snare on the first white trig and the clap on the black button nr. 5 on the snare track (2). what could that be, any idea?