OP1 Field OS Update 1.50

i apply for a job at te support ;D

“i can eliminate bugs in your code without even touching one variable”

2 Likes

Hi,

My new Op-1 Field is on OS 1.2.9

Can install 1.5.0 or should I install any previous updates?

Cheers!

1 Like

Install 1.50 directly on what you have. They aren’t ‘cumulative’.
Edit: Clarification, each software load is complete. So any changes in previous versions will be in the 1.50 software load.

3 Likes

I posted a video earlier showing the Terminal FX (and modulating it with an LFO) but here is my one on Mixdown. This is going to be super handy for me since I previously had to jump through a bunch of hoops to do tracks 1+2+3 into Track 4, to make room for more. Although this will do 123&4 into a single track, which is even better. Previously that had to be done via the LP/Record master recorder.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I like the update quite a bit.

The merge drop is something I asked for, so I am naturally quite happy about it. It will be a huge help in recording more complex tracks.

As far as stereo field changes, @djcuvcuv seems to be right. It applies the mixer setting of the tape you’re dropping the segment on. I can see how a user could expect the original mixer settings to be preserved. (After all, you’ve “previewed” the sound on using the source tape.) On the other hand, you issue the merge command while looking at the new tape, so it’s not entirely unreasonable to use new tape’s settings. My guess is that loading a new tape overrides “current” mixer settings, so it’s a technical limitation that is quite hard to bypass without considerable amount of extra work.

Terminal is interesting. Generally, I am not a huge fan of bit crushing, but this particular implementation has quite a bit of range. It sounds really good on drums on 3+ bit setting. It can also make Dimension engine sound very crunchy and distorted, which gives it a nice chiptune vibe. Combined with the improvements to Random LFO, you can get some really nice SID-like sounds out of Field now.

(I wonder what they really do in that effect. There is no such thing as 3.1 bit depth.)

So there is a hidden bonus - a huge one - to shift drop.

If you lift a single track, and then shift-drop onto some tape that already has something there - it merges the two sources! This is amazing. So for example, you can use it to double-track a part. Record something, lift it, shift-drop it down slightly later than where you lifted it from. Instant double-tracking!

It’s a game-changer.

14 Likes

somehow I#ve never really used the Phone fx neither on the OG or the F but somehow the similarity to Terminal is really interesting, nearly a category on its own.

the core of the TX6 bit crusher is def. that Terminal Algo. would love to see a Stereo Tape Delay Visualization on the Field, which expands the EP-133 Delay, it sounds awesome when self oscillating.

…it may be possible in the future to split the Drums and Synth section on the field when the system separates the Stereo Operation to Mono only, like on the OG1 x2 in parallel.

the new engines Dimension, Vocoder, Mother and Terminal are only possible (that added filter) because the OP1f makes use of the newer CPU, the advantage of the field, someone said that a few weeks ago

1 Like

Ping pong (like paddles hitting a ball back and forth or even a little table with players) could be a fun visualization for a stereo delay

3 Likes

… a modified PONG Screen and the pixel representing the ball could then represent some modulation in the Stereo field, idk like up to 6 balls swirling around with a pattern generator (random) when one paddle can’t hit the ball—therefore the modulation would fade out.

a Vector TT tournament could represent such patterns thru fitness of the player and how often the ball will bounce on the table :slight_smile:

the people in the audience representing feedback, a few people cheering vs the whole audience, shouting and disrupting the tournament.

2 Likes

This is an amazing update. I was just thinking to myself, “hey if I ever need to use more than 4 tracks I would need to send to Daw and back out again” and now that workflow workaround. For track limitation is essentially gone. I’m soon to own it yet. But this is great

2 Likes

If you use Shift+Orange in the tape screen to pan audio before recording to tape, that panning will be preserved with shift lifting and dropping. If you lift something recorded centered but panned a direction in the mixer, the centered audio will be dropped to the new track and respect its panning position.

Interesting because shift lifting with the sampler respects mixer settings…

Also very cool is that you can drop as many times as you’d like. So you could lift, for example, a single track with a kick drum and drop it multiple times to the same track for saturation.

8 Likes

Amazing. When I first heard about shift drop I assumed it was this. Guess I get both my wishes! This will be great for stacking vocals

2 Likes

Loving this update, merge drop truly is a game changer for me. Suddenly opens the door to stick with OP1 through the initial idea phase into the ‘build a draft track’ phase, while staying in the flow. Feels awesome to use.

Also the terminal effect sounds really good as far as bitcrushers go.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s a good update. We were always able to bounce three stereo tracks to one to continue recording on the newly emptied tracks, but merge is more versatile and is going to be seriously useful.

And I’m loving Terminal, it is a really good sounding bit crusher.

2 Likes

…also, if you always shift-drop SINGLE TRACKS, I think that will help eliminate the legendary clicks since you can lift a part which is long enough to contain reverb or delay tails, and drop, and build up a track by pasting over the tails that are already there. No clicks! It’s a game-changer.

6 Likes

I didn’t think of that! @abyssody
Fantastic!!!

1 Like

wait wait wait wait …. you can get rid of clicks and pops? I’m sorry currently i’m not home right now to test myself, but you’re saying if i cut the ends of a loop and shift/lift that it will eliminate the clicks and pops?

1 Like

I just wanted to update about the mixer settings. TE emailed me to say merge/drop is working as it should. So the piece lifted will use the mixer settings of the tape you drop onto.

I can temporarily adjust the mixer settings to match how I want the lifted piece to sound, Shift + drop, now those mixer settings are baked into the dropped loop. Now I can change the mixer settings however I want and repeat.

This new merge is making me think about using different tapes for different sections of the track, like a verse tape, a chorus tape, a break tape etc., merging onto the same tape to bake in those mixer settings, then merging those pieces onto a master tape. Lots of possibilities.

1 Like

DOES the Merge Drop also pick up Tape flavor? like if you’re merge dropping into a portatrack, will it run it through the tape quality effect or just the mixer settings?

been curious about this but haven’t tested it

1 Like