OP1 Field OS Update 1.50

Amazing. When I first heard about shift drop I assumed it was this. Guess I get both my wishes! This will be great for stacking vocals

2 Likes

Loving this update, merge drop truly is a game changer for me. Suddenly opens the door to stick with OP1 through the initial idea phase into the ā€˜build a draft trackā€™ phase, while staying in the flow. Feels awesome to use.

Also the terminal effect sounds really good as far as bitcrushers go.

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a good update. We were always able to bounce three stereo tracks to one to continue recording on the newly emptied tracks, but merge is more versatile and is going to be seriously useful.

And Iā€™m loving Terminal, it is a really good sounding bit crusher.

2 Likes

ā€¦also, if you always shift-drop SINGLE TRACKS, I think that will help eliminate the legendary clicks since you can lift a part which is long enough to contain reverb or delay tails, and drop, and build up a track by pasting over the tails that are already there. No clicks! Itā€™s a game-changer.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t think of that! @abyssody
Fantastic!!!

1 Like

wait wait wait wait ā€¦. you can get rid of clicks and pops? Iā€™m sorry currently iā€™m not home right now to test myself, but youā€™re saying if i cut the ends of a loop and shift/lift that it will eliminate the clicks and pops?

1 Like

I just wanted to update about the mixer settings. TE emailed me to say merge/drop is working as it should. So the piece lifted will use the mixer settings of the tape you drop onto.

I can temporarily adjust the mixer settings to match how I want the lifted piece to sound, Shift + drop, now those mixer settings are baked into the dropped loop. Now I can change the mixer settings however I want and repeat.

This new merge is making me think about using different tapes for different sections of the track, like a verse tape, a chorus tape, a break tape etc., merging onto the same tape to bake in those mixer settings, then merging those pieces onto a master tape. Lots of possibilities.

1 Like

DOES the Merge Drop also pick up Tape flavor? like if youā€™re merge dropping into a portatrack, will it run it through the tape quality effect or just the mixer settings?

been curious about this but havenā€™t tested it

1 Like

Yes it does.

1 Like

very interesting. So this is really cool, less of a lift/drop and more of an automating of the resample process. I wonder how itā€™s done so quickly? via pitching up then copying to a buffer, playing back quickly through tape and pitching back down? Youā€™d think there could be signal loss issues doing this too much if thatā€™s the case.

2 Likes

Itā€™s 1ā€™s and 0ā€™s.

1 Like

i thinkkk they mean that since now you can shift drop audio tracks and it will blend instead of flat out overwrite you can:

1. what you said: cut out the pop click part
  2. importantly, subsequently, critically, shift drop the reverb tail from somewhere else
1 Like

Yes - you got it

1 Like

what do you mean?

theyā€™re just joshing around. alluding to that, at bottom, all computers/devices that run computer code ultimately gets elaborated onto transistors in the form of on/off instructions, aka 1/0 instructions

oh, I get the reference! I just found it unhelpful in trying to understand the process by which these actions (like the Merge Drop) are completed. So, I asked for clarification in hopes that they had a greater understanding, blissful platitudes donā€™t do much for me :slight_smile:

For me, understanding how this process works means that we can think about the process and see if there are other ways to use it, or other possible creative outcomes because of it.
If the tape flavor and mixer settings are printed onto the recording, Iā€™d assume that itā€™s being re-recorded.

So my original question stands (in my mind at least): is that recording happening at a high speed so it can get done so quickly, or is there more going on behind the scenes that we donā€™t know about?
If itā€™s all 1ā€™s and 0ā€™s, Iā€™d love to know what is happening from a technical perspective, not philosophical.

1 Like

ahh ok got you. yeah i feel you.

and its a great question. i have no idea. my hunch though is that it is not a mysterious/unknown/proproitery process. however logic or ableton does bounce is probably more or less how the op1f is doing it. but of course im purely speculating. if their hardware is more tailored towards the operations then it could be much faster than a general purpose intel chip doing a bounce.

im blanking on all the theory i once knew but if you perform a transform to get out of the time domain and into say the frequency domain, using something like a Fourier Transform, i forget if you can transform back into the time domain WITHOUT loss of integrity/resolution/information.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe Field adds tape effects when pasting tracks with or without holding shitft. Tape effects are added during recording only. You can test this by recording a not on a hi-fi tape and then cutting it and pasting into cassette tape. There will be no characteristic hissing.

1 Like

correct yes you are absolutely right

1 Like

Nice! I was just going off of what @opsr wrote, but I havenā€™t had the chance to test it.

So merge drop does NOT add the tape effect.
cool, I think it makes it more useful to me if it doesnā€™t add the tape flavor over and over again since the assumption is itā€™s already been recorded on once.

without adding the tape flavor I could better understand @happyanimal 's response of it being a digital bounce/mix (assuming thatā€™s what they meant by 1ā€™s and 0ā€™s :wink:)

1 Like