op1.fun is a new site for sharing patches!

@webratz can you link to some specific patches that are causing issue for you?

Hi everyone, just want to share something I’ve been working on to make op1.fun even more useful – a companion app that lets you download packs and patches directly from the site onto your OP-1. This quick video demonstrates it better than I can explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQD2c5pZ5o&feature=youtu.be

Just find a patch or pack you like, click once, and it’s automatically loaded onto the OP-1. The app helps you keep track of how much room you have left on the OP-1.

It’s nearly done and runs nicely on Mac OS. With only a little bit of work I can make it run on Windows as well.

I’m considering putting it up on the App Store as a paid download. What do you think?

I’ll buy it! That would be a great tool to help manage patches. Will it also be a librarian for all the patches and sets of patches that we like to load up? How about a backup feature?

Thanks for all the awesome hard work you are doing!
Hi everyone, just want to share something I've been working on to make op1.fun even more useful – a companion app that lets you download packs and patches directly from the site onto your OP-1. This quick video demonstrates it better than I can explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQD2c5pZ5o&feature=youtu.be

Just find a patch or pack you like, click once, and it's automatically loaded onto the OP-1. The app helps you keep track of how much room you have left on the OP-1.

It's nearly done and runs nicely on Mac OS. With only a little bit of work I can make it run on Windows as well.

I'm considering putting it up on the App Store as a paid download. What do you think?

Wow. Really nice work. I’d totally $$up for that.

Will it also be a librarian for all the patches and sets of patches that we like to load up?

This is a great idea! The app seems to be only what’s happening on the OP1 currently. I would be over the moon if it could also be a patch library. Maybe the window demonstrated in the video, plus another window that is the library.

Lastly, really, amazing work. The numbering as it loads on the OP1 is a time saver! Thank you for the hard work. Any idea when it’ll be available?
I'm considering putting it up on the App Store as a paid download. What do you think?

Nice work!

As a fellow developer - one thing you might run into here is sandboxing issues. Store apps are much more restrictive in that regard. Same on the Windows store to some degree.

Donationware might be less hassle! (and people can donate even if they just use the site, not the app)

Donationware might be less hassle! (and people can donate even if they just use the site, not the app)

I agree. I’d be into a Patreon style thing too… where I’d choose a monthly donation amount. If you’d be into a monthly option.

Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m flattered that some of you would consider donating, and I might end up trying to fund this project that way, but I worry that it wouldn’t sustain itself for very long. I think a better approach would be to build features that are worth paying for and simply charge a fair price for them. Exactly what those features are I’m trying to figure out :slight_smile:

Features I would like to add to the app:
  • Backup (good idea @flyingace71). The app could zip up everything on the OP-1 and store it remotely for safe keeping, and quickly restore it when needed.
  • Upload patches straight from the OP-1 (snapshots dir) to op1.fun.

@flyingace71 I see the op1.fun site as the “patch library”. You can save private packs and patches there, and with this app you can quickly load them onto the OP-1. It’s not perfect (doesn’t work offline) but I think it allows a nice workflow and has the bonus of making your patches easy to share with others on the site when you want. Along with the backup feature this makes a nice tool.

@mrbernard thanks! Not sure when it could be available. Most of the “core” is written but there’s still a bunch of work to do packaging it up for multiple platforms. According to the op1.fun logs there are a lot of Windows users so I would need to support Mac OS and Windows at a minimum.

@Sparky thanks for the tip, I’ll look into the sandboxing concerns!

Very impressive. Consider me signed up.

Hi all,

I’ve got a working version of the op1.fun companion app ready for testing. Please send me a private message (or email jordan@op1.fun) if you are running mac OS and would like to help me test it out!

Right now it has the features demonstrated in the video I posted a few days ago – you can save packs and patches from op1.fun directly to your OP-1 with a single click.

Thanks
Hi all,

I've got a working version of the op1.fun companion app ready for testing. Please send me a private message (or email jordan@op1.fun) if you are running mac OS and would like to help me test it out!

Right now it has the features demonstrated in the video I posted a few days ago – you can save packs and patches from op1.fun directly to your OP-1 with a single click.

Thanks

Excellent!

I’m sure you have already thought about it, but coming from an instructional development background, do you have specific buckets of feedback that you’re looking for? Obviously found bugs… but are there specific use case scenarios you have in mind? Just riffing… PM sent! Thanks!

Thank you so much. My heart is sincerely warmed by the effort and generosity in making something so useful for the community of op-1 users. Peace.

Thanks everyone. At the suggestion of others I have created a Patreon page to help support the site. If you find the site of value, a contribution would be hugely appreciated! Just today I added some new features to the site and I plan to continue working on it. Goal #1 is to make sure the hosting costs are covered!

https://www.patreon.com/dustmason

Also thanks to everyone who responded about testing the mac OS app. I’ll be sending links out soon you haven’t received one yet.

That’s great! I’m a patron now (only $1/mo. to start but will increase once I do my budget). I also got your beta link. I’m finishing some big projects but hope to install and start testing this weekend, next week.

Thanks for all you do!

I just sent out an email to op1.fun users, so you may already be aware, but I wanted to post an update here too.

op1.fun has a new feature called tapes that lets you upload the contents of your OP-1 4-track. Once it’s on the site, you can play back all 4 tracks of the tape, along with all the loop/region data that the OP-1 saves. This is meant to make working with the OP-1’s 6 minute limit more fun and easy, as now you can easily keep a library of song/loop ideas that you can load on and off the OP-1 without hassle. Please check it out and let me know how you like it!

I am still finishing up the app – thanks to all who tested it. When it’s done it will work with the new tapes feature.

Also, I’ve closed down the Patreon page because I decided instead to build a subscription feature right into op1.fun. This makes it easier for me to manage, and to provide more features for paid users of the site. There are still nowhere near enough paid users to cover the hosting costs, so if you find the site useful please consider subscribing for $3/month.

Thanks!

Done and done! Sorry I got so busy that I haven’t had the chance to test your beta, thanks for allowing me to be involved. Life with a graduating senior, summer schedules, family issues, etc… you know… But I’m a subscriber via your new system because I truly believe that you are helping to make our OP1 community better and stronger. I hope many more subscribe with that understanding. You add value to our OP1 investments in my opinion.

Subscribed!

Hey Jordan,

Finally found time to start using your website again and upload some patches. Also finally subscribed :slight_smile:

I just tried to upload a patch demo but the upload fails to complete, either on chrome or firefox. I tried several times on this patch: op1.fun - false bit by artsun

Do you know what’s going on?

Thanks!

Edit: just tried on another patch and it doesn’t work either…

Hi Artsun,

Thanks for subscribing! I had a look at the site and at your patches and was unable to reproduce the issue. Can you send me (via email - jordan@op1.fun) the files you are trying to upload?

thanks

So boss! I signed up, great work!

Hi Artsun,

Thanks for subscribing! I had a look at the site and at your patches and was unable to reproduce the issue. Can you send me (via email - jordan@op1.fun) the files you are trying to upload?

thanks

Done :slight_smile: