Something New!

Yeah @Muhr, definitely to do with the PO-12.

and one of the other images looks similar to a woodblock instrument:

What’s new about the PO-12? It’s been known about for ages, it’s a known thing with known goals and abilities.

The PO-12 will shift units for sure, it will be the next monotribe, get it, play it, tell everybody with ears they need one!
Bluetooth sync between Op and Po = foxy bingo

Maybe the OP-1 will get a PO-12 drum engine.

^ !

I’d love a vocoder for the OP-1.

Hopefully…
A: Vocoder in the synth engine or FX
B: Traditional LFO waveforms that are variable in all LFOs
C: Loop release fixed so we can use single cycle waveforms for wavetable synthesis
D: Sequencer update to enable pattern save and copy & paste between sequencers
E: More indepth midi so we can do multitimbral external sequencing of the synth engines

@RTK: I’m hoping the same thing – I think the chip powering the PO-12 is so basic that this might be feasible! :slight_smile:

It looks like a grain synth to me, through a bubble-blowing metaphor. Look at the colors and graphics:

Blue: grain speed
Green: grain spacing
White: grain size
Orange: variation amount

Swap green/white if you like.

The ‘bubble blow thingy’ looks more like a plastic coffee swirl thing to me. Maybe our OP-1 will make a great grind or even an espresso after the next update. :slight_smile:

Who would buy a PO-12 if the OP-1 had its drum engine?

Or the PO-12 has been developed into something like a small, portable, quirky MPC in OP-1 coloring >.>

I doubt it.
Who would buy a PO-12 if the OP-1 had its drum engine?

umm, I would… :stuck_out_tongue:

And people without an OP-1!

Hmmm… I wouldn’t cause I’m not a TE museum but an audio enthousiast.

That depends if the PO-12 remains $49. If it does, then I think people will buy it regardless, it’s throw away money and putting the essential ‘sound’ of the PO-12 into the OP-1 will just be advertising the PO-12.

If you think about it, most OP-1 owners probably have synths or software that are theoretically better than any one thing the OP-1 does. Likewise, the PO-12s appeal is not the sounds, which in isolation are pretty crap - it’s the whole thing. The price, the funky design, the chip used, the interface that makes you think carefully about how to structure and time your music (or just provides a rigid lead you must follow without the guilt of thinking “I can do more with this”).

Regardless, it’s just a silly speculation - I don’t think they would do it, really. It’s either going to be a cased, finished PO-12 at which point we discover adding a display and clever stylish case makes it a lot more than $49, or the OP-1 firmware update. Even if it does say ‘something new’ - past experience suggests TE take their time, keep interest bubbling, then produce fantastic kit.

I would still buy a po12 if they put its engine on the op1

Something I thought of that would be a nice new product from TE.

We all know that the OP-1 has restrictions of processor and memory etc.
Well, imagine of TE brought out software on say the iPad and made a dock that both the OP-1 and the iPad plugged into … the App on the iPad brought a whole new load of synths and machines into the mix, all with the same colour-coded knobs on-screen that allowed the OP-1 to be the hands-on controller still for everything.

OP-1 MKII please! =D

One thing to note is that the image links to the overall store, not just the OP-1 feature page… Not much extra info.

I’m an avid iPad user, and what you describe should, to me, sound like a dream come true. But somehow, it sounds like innocence lost. Does that sound silly? I feel like the OP-1 is a closed ecosphere; a floating fantasy platform in an ocean of colors. Like the GUI designs from outsider apps might fracture the vision of the OP-1 design team.

Or maybe I just don’t want to shell out another $850! :o