Suggestions for TEENAGE ENGINEERING OP-Z

I was today years old when I learned that. Neat!

Is there’s a way in the config file to make this mixer + screen the only way to toggle with option?

Example: I lock my screen to the mixer, but when I hit the pattern button to change patterns, the screen unlocks. (A bit nit-picky, but i’m curious)

So with the addition of full sampling functionality and the new synth engines, being limited to 8 sound “plugs” per track for the entire unit is starting to feel really limiting. This more so is a problem when I start getting a lot of tracks or projects going on the device.

It would be very helpful if you could have a “master” sound plug folder in the OP-Z and then use the configure page to pick which track get’s which plugs PER PROJECT.

You could still put a cap on how many sound plugs are allowed overall, but right now with all the synth engines, if I wanted to sample a sound into my chord track, I’d have to remove one of the engines, and in most cases, I’m using each of those engines in one way or another somewhere else in the device on a different project.

Having the sound plugs be selected per project would not only help organizationally, it would really help expand the amount of sounds we’d have access to.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

Cool. It works, thank you, TE!

Please. Please Do this.

I like most people will never use the DMX, or motion graphics.

This is a great Idea.

1 Like

I think you need to record both bass line and chords in a single key - then when you change key on the master track everything will change key…

1 Like

Yeah, thanks!

I’d like an option for a bit of a different workflow, ie. master track is tweakable to read AND/OR write note / harmonic info on a per track basis… So could could put a groove into the bass track without having any idea or thought about key, and then push it into line based on a nice chord progression.

1 Like

Hi all! :wave::slightly_smiling_face:
Day two of my OP-z and its quite amazing whats packed in such a tiny efficient package.

Things I’d like in updates.

1. more customisable punch in FX options via the app or better still having user definable step component combinations saved in the punch in slots.
  2. an audio routing from FX1 to FX2
  3. for the photomatic to use small video clips to a second screen
  4. an two band eq and/or stereo enhancer on the master instead of the filter and chorus

apart from that the workflow is fantastic and the sound is top notch :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

This!

1 Like

Hi,

Would it be possible to create a piano roll / grid style sequencer within the app for more precise entry and adjustment of notes when using longer track lengths than 16 steps.

I would love to be able to switch mute groups without having to hold an additional button at the top of the unit. This would make it much easier to switch mute groups while playing another instrument. Being able to set up a chain of mute groups within a pattern would also be really useful.

I’d like to be able to chop a loop into individual hits that I could then export out as individual files. Chop on the z then export out to be used on another device like a sample based drum machine like a tr-8s or model:sample.

Enable multi sampling.

3 Likes

One idea for the mute group issue. If you are already playing another instrument on top of the OP-Z, maybe consider getting a midi device/controller and mapping the midi CC to mute groups.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. That’s an option. I wonder if I could do that with a Keystep? I’d really like to be able to just do it directly on the Z though. Seems it wouldn’t be too difficult to make an option for “holding“ the mixer mode. I’d also really like to be able to have a default option of switching to the next mute group and having only tracks playing that were active on the previous one (instead of all of them), at least until it’s already been set once.

Ableton link in the app to easily sync start-stop and tempo with other apps.

3 Likes

You can use AudioBus to do this now:

OP-Z MIDI < > AudioBus < > Ableton Link

1 Like

So random idea occurred to me (and perhaps someone has suggested this before).

I know a lot of people have suggested a multitrack output module. Something that would let you like out each of the output.

I myself have suggested or preferred a simple firmware update that would allow multi tracking via USB. (Which would be great for recording records).

While I still like and prefer that idea, what if TE did a firmware update to the OPLab Module that would allow you to turn the two CV and Midi outputs into audio output and the Midi input into line input.

Each CV/Midi output is a TRRS connection, so it could theoretically support a stereo signal or two mono signals with a splitter. Combine that with the main output, you could have a setting that configured the main output, two CV outputs, and midi output into 4 dedicated stereo output or 8 mono outputs. Aka, just enough to multitrack all the audio channels (albeit mono…).

I still think multitrack over usb would be better overall, but perhaps for live performance or just connecting to other gear, this would be amazing.

Not sure if the hardware could support this, but it would be awesome.

3 Likes

as a response to Elektron I hope we’ll see a drum synth engine on Friday next week. :pray:

4 Likes

You mean a drum synth engine on the OP-Z? That’d be really neat.

2 Likes

Hello, Everybody, I had my OP-Z for nearly 4 weeks now and came to the conclusion that this device is awesome. It’s not a toy, but a fully capable tool for professionally working producers. The sound is awesome and the features are quite unique compared to devices from other companies. The sampling feature is cool, but can use a little improvement. I’d like to see the possibility to auto record something whithout being forced to keep the record butten pressed. Also it would be nice to be able to edit the samples while the sequencer is running. I also like the tape track and love to play around with the tape speed by moving the green and blue encoder for dub like effects . Unfortunately I wasn’t able to record these movements (as parameter locks?) like it is possible with the filter on the 8 audio tracks. Please let me know if this is possible somehow. And if not yet I’d like to see it in a future update. Also I’d like to be able to use more than 2 FX per Track. Apart from that it’s all great so far. The plan was to try it out and swop it for a digitakt if not pleased with it. Definately gonna keep it! :slight_smile: Cheers

1 Like

I know for recording into the sequencer, If you press rec + play, you don’t have to hold the record button. Unless you are referring to sampling?

@Davnak I do