Suggestions for TEENAGE ENGINEERING OP-Z

Since the numbers control the length of the buffer, the only way to record tape effects is by sequencing them… have you tried that? You can parameter lock tape changes from the sequencer on that track, just input changes on the 16 steps. You can lengthen the sequence too.

@Kja I think I know what you mean and sorta tried it. It’s cool for sure but not the same as recording/automate the encoder movements for tape speed. So the only way would be live recording it into a daw or other recording device I guess.

you have to hold down the rec button and the movement of the encoders will be recorded to the sequencer.

this doesn’t work when you’re in fixed recording mode (rec+play)

Oh yes, I thought you couldn’t in tape track but your right you can!!

1 Like

Ok, it works but not very accurately unfortunately. Just played with it for a few minutes, maybe I need to finetune my process…

1 Like

I think someone mentioned that automation is recorded per step and interpolated (?) so I guess you loose many transition details…

2 Likes

it depends on what engine you automate, the general behavior of the tape fx is especially on the first dial a bit hefty, the second one or fine tune is great for smooth tape wobble on synth.

the learning curve on TE products is time to explore and you’ll notice how to operate everything but it will take it’s time

1 Like

btw i found out that if you want to change a preset “midset” and it results in volume changes or a harder envelope you can always return to the working stage when pressing the engine number, that’s nice!

Relentlessly positive towards TE. Love it.

In the streaming event they said they had been messing with Bluetooth and got it to work… I would really really like the opz to beable to stream to Bluetooth speakers. That would be really huge for me and I bet allot of other people too!! I really think they should persue this in a update if they can get it to work reliably.

They also said the main reason they aren’t going through with it is the latency issue. Bluetooth naturally has a lot of latency so it’d make playing any kind of music through it kind of unusable.

Rats!!

I’d love to see another LFO for the first 8 channels. I think it would blow this instrument wide open in what you could do with it.

Even just a single new global LFO would be helpful.

I have no idea how much the existing feature set pushes the hardware. Maybe this would be too difficult to implement. It would also force a change of TE’s beautifully restrained UI in the iOS app, but I’m sure they could handle that gracefully.

You know both the fx slots have seperate lfo’s? With those you can get it Xtra lfo, just have the effect dry and run the channel 100% to the effect and Bam! Another lfo!!

I would love to see a radio module that we can sample the FM radio frequencies.

1 Like

Yeah but that doesn’t really accomplish what I want. LFOs on effects is great and all, but I want an LFO to be able to affect another LFO on the instruments.

Can u route the main lfo to the effect, and then run the lfo from effect dry 100%? I think that might do that? At that point the effect lfo is only effecting the signal from instrument not the effect slot effect if that makes sense?

you could basically alter the values of one LFO per step. or even record a long Modulation of LFO controls.

it’s not that big of a deal with “only” one LFO

and the fx LFOs are a nice addition in sounddesign especially the independent Vibrato LFOs which affect the pitch

Can I ask what you mean by “independent” LFO?

when using the two fx LFOs they act independently from each other and the feeded track, if you send a track to both fx you’ll gain the ability to pitch them differently which is interesting :face_with_monocle:

Take a look at the architecture of any synth that has two free running or tempo synced LFOs with the option to bind a decent number of parameters together as sources and destinations. It opens up the modulation possibilities. Being able to control one modulation source with another is powerful stuff.

While a great way to modulate sound on the OPZ, parameter locking changes or working with the new fx section isn’t the same. I’m not saying we don’t have options on the OPZ. We obviously do. But I’d like more of them. I’m not expecting Novation Peak level depth, but it would be huge to have more modulation possibilities.

From experience in audio engineering, two LFOs is a big bang for the buck.