The gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS

Last night at band practice I finally realized: I need an Octatrack back in my life. :-P

Dude I feel yeah! Curious to hear if you use this in a band application or is this more for personal at home use?

Yeah I don’t really miss it for music creation – but bit by bit I’ve realized iPad just doesn’t cut it as an Octatrack replacement for live use. There’s too much contingency involved – I need a solution for live use I can depend on. And I don’t want to touch laptops, they are an inspiration killer for me.

Had a response off Oto Machines regarding BOUM. First batch will be ready at the beginning of next year! Thats my gas sorted!

Need some help to identify what keyboard this is, please. Looks really interesting but no idea what it is: Thanks.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/d3c5e784aa7741e81444e7df1ed2313a/tumblr_oico8sophV1ve84rko1_1280.jpg

@ReadyOrNot it appears to be a Hartmann Neuron

@GCF: Thanks!

I was looking at the Jomox T Resonator to mangle my Tanzmaus but then I though… maybe I need a Digitakt instead so I can mangle in the box and find the creepy drone techno drum sounds I’m after ? Is that a good idea ? Probably more useful in the long run I guess… but I’m afraid of losing the immediacy of a “simple” drum machine… and I really like my Tanzmaus…

But of course I also want to buy a new Intellijel case to expand my modular and create and FX rack I can get crazy with.

GAS.

So close to pulling the trigger on a Dominion Club.

I have Dominion Club, it’s awesome sounding! One of my favorite features is that you can plug the OP-1 directly to the USB keys port to act as a controller.

I wish it was poly

I’ve been servicing a lovely MkIII ARP 2600 for a friend who intends to sell it. The more I work on it, the more I regret selling my own Tonus 2600 a few years back. I’m trying to work out how I might be able to afford to buy this one.

IMG_0300

I’ve been servicing a lovely MkIII ARP 2600 for a friend who intends to sell it. The more I work on it, the more I regret selling my own Tonus 2600 a few years back. I’m trying to work out how I might be able to afford to buy this one.

Oh man… that is gorgeous! Maybe have him reduce the price by the amount you’d charge him for the servicing…

I've been servicing a lovely MkIII ARP 2600 for a friend who intends to sell it. The more I work on it, the more I regret selling my own Tonus 2600 a few years back. I'm trying to work out how I might be able to afford to buy this one.

Oh man… that is gorgeous! Maybe have him reduce the price by the amount you’d charge him for the servicing…

Yeah. It’s a really sweet specimen, with some tasty mods - and none of the modules are potted, which makes servicing much easier than it is on some of the others. I just need to come up with enough $$$ before he needs to sell it on.

It’s been a while since I seriously considered buying anything new, but now I’m considering a Moog Sub or Subsequent 37. I saw a used unit on Ebay to sell for $880 and suddenly remembered how I played one in a store and liked the sound, the controls, the keyboard. Hm… On the other hand, Moogs are generally overpriced and the shipping would cost me a lot even if I got a used one.

However, I have a rule of not buying any new gear until I sell something equivalent. Not sure what I would sell for it.

I guess price-wise the closes thing be Analog Four, but that would leave me with only OP-1 and PO-12 for drum machine stuff. I haven’t gotten much actual use out of A4 yet. I made a zillion loops on it, many patches, but only recorded a couple full tracks, which were real-time improvisations anyway. Would be a pity to loose it before using its to its full potential.

The least used thing I own is Korg Kronos, and it also happens to be the most powerful synth I have that I would use if I ever wanted to make “real” music. And I haven’t actually “learned” it properly.

A4 vs Moog. Hm… Moog seems like a very powerful device for sound design and a cool real-time instrument, but it’s sequencer is super-simplistic. If I could play different patches on different steps it would be huge…

One thing I have to say about Elektron, they are amazing software engineers. Not just among synth makers, but in general. The way they handle updates, the side of their OS, the slick usage of low-res graphics and LEDs, and finally the Overbridge project (which I will never use, but can totally appreciate from software engineering point).

It's been a while since I seriously considered buying anything new, but now I'm considering a Moog Sub or Subsequent 37. I saw a used unit on Ebay to sell for $880 and suddenly remembered how I played one in a store and liked the sound, the controls, the keyboard. Hm... On the other hand, Moogs are generally overpriced and the shipping would cost me a lot even if I got a used one.

However, I have a rule of not buying any new gear until I sell something equivalent. Not sure what I would sell for it.

I guess price-wise the closes thing be Analog Four, but that would leave me with only OP-1 and PO-12 for drum machine stuff. I haven't gotten much actual use out of A4 yet. I made a zillion loops on it, many patches, but only recorded a couple full tracks, which were real-time improvisations anyway. Would be a pity to loose it before using its to its full potential.

The least used thing I own is Korg Kronos, and it also happens to be the most powerful synth I have that I would use if I ever wanted to make "real" music. And I haven't actually "learned" it properly.

A4 vs Moog. Hm... Moog seems like a very powerful device for sound design and a cool real-time instrument, but it's sequencer is super-simplistic. If I could play different patches on different steps it would be huge...

One thing I have to say about Elektron, they are amazing software engineers. Not just among synth makers, but in general. The way they handle updates, the side of their OS, the slick usage of low-res graphics and LEDs, and finally the Overbridge project (which I will never use, but can totally appreciate from software engineering point).

Might be worth checking out Overbridge btw.

It makes everything within the Analog Four a lot more accessible and tweakable for instant gratification.
I loved the A4 for the sounds it made and its jammability when you had some stuff going but it was the programming and sound design that got me. Overbridge helped a lot with the sound design unlocking more stuff instantly rather than menu diving on the tiny screen. It also helped me manage my sounds in files and folders better.

It's been a while since I seriously considered buying anything new, but now I'm considering a Moog Sub or Subsequent 37. .

Considered the Behringer D? It’s cheap as fuck, small, analog, sounds better than the sub37 and you can sequence it from your A4.

Plankton Ants…

The Rytm mk II looks awesome. I just keep telling myself I can’t afford it( which is true ).

GASing over Mpc Live & Maschine MK3… just trying to pick one

Might be worth checking out Overbridge btw.

It makes everything within the Analog Four a lot more accessible and tweakable for instant gratification.

I’m trying to avoid computers while making my noise. I spend too much time in front of the screen already. Kind of gets to you after a certain point.

I’ve spent couple months using nothing but Analog Four and got quite comfortable with its interface for sound design. The only thing that annoys me a bit is sound pool management and song mode. But really, Elektron are very good at making user interfaces. Stuff like tagging and their clever little screen for letter entry help make the whole experience pleasant despite low-res screen. Compared to something like Korg Kronos everything-is-three-menus-deep approach it’s super-fluent.

The thing that fascinates me about Overbridge is how you can use a physical, analog synth like a VST, while running CV and having full access to its sound input. You can use it to hook analog gear with no MIDI “directly” into your DAW. That’s really cool. Very few technologies have this kind of painless integration. But I don’t use a DAW, so it’s all theoretical for me.

Considered the Behringer D? It’s cheap as fuck, small, analog, sounds better than the sub37 and you can sequence it from your A4.

I haven’t considered it before, but it looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m thinking about it.

Although, while it sounds nice and rich, I’m not sure about it being acoustically better than Sub 37. I have tried Sub 37 myself and listened to a lot of the demos. To me it sounds pretty darn amazing. Fully holds its own even without any effects. Of course, I haven’t tried Behringer D and there are fewer musical demos on YouTube.

Things that Sub 37 has going for it: paraphony, loop-able envelopes, continuously variably waveforms. (Plus the obvious extra stuff like the keyboard itself, setting, mod matrix, nice knobs, etc.) Behringer has all those I/O ports, but I’m unlikely to use them besides (like you said) sequencing from A4.

Speaking of Moog clones, what are your thoughts on Roland SE-02?