The gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS

The sound thing is obviously hard to quantify, but people seem to think the Minimoog sounds better than the 37, and the Model D seems to sound identical to the Minimoog, so my comment was purely based on that. The 37 is more fully featured but it’s also a lot larger and more expensive!

Not too many thoughts on the SE-02 other than the knobs look unusably small. Seems to sound good, though IMO the Dominion Club sounds better and has a nicer design for around the same price.

Nerdseq, instruo sinfonion, monome grid (again) plus ansible.

Need a good fun to use euro sequencer.

Not too many thoughts on the SE-02 other than the knobs look unusably small. Seems to sound good, though IMO the Dominion Club sounds better and has a nicer design for around the same price.

I got to play with an SE-02 recently at a synth meet. Terrific sound, way too cramped. Way way way way way too cramped. It really makes me appreciate the design of the Monologue and Minilogue all the more. I think if Roland could put the SE-02 into a larger, usable interface for a little higher price, it would be an incredible synth. But Roland’s design sensibilities as of late are just bad.

So I’m crushing hard on Plonk, despite having no modular setup. I should be trying to build something similar on the Organelle (or Axoloti) instead though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN37dK9s2MM

This may be dumb but I want an Omnichord so bad haha. They just look cool from a design perspective and its something you can easily play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKJaHv_57Y

My sillier GAS at the moment is for the SH-01A. I’ve never been particularly drawn to the SH-101, nor any of the boutiques, but this one seems a nice price and fit and interesting sound and extension to the 101. I’m always lusting after a Korg Minilogue for chord duties but prefer little modules and some of the poly and chord features in the SH-01A sound interesting. And there’s lots of MIDI CC control that would be fun to sequence from the Elektrons… And the price is good.

But I keep thinking that I’ve got enough of these little synths and should use the ones I have more creatively and keep my eye on the things I really want that are just a little more in price (Organelle, Modor NF-1m).

So the more practical thing that’s suddenly caught my attention again is the Kilpatrick Carbon sequencer. I still haven’t really outgrown the Octatrack’s sequencer yet (esp now with conditional trigs), but there’s more melodic things I have in mind that I want to do but not with any kind of piano roll crap. The Carbon seems the right mix between a step sequencer, a dynamic remixer (no conditional trigs, but lots of ways to change the patterns on the fly for more dynamic loops), a melodic sequencer, and a fun just-knobby-enough item with plenty of IO (two MIDI outs, USB host, CV) to expand upon the Elektrons. And since it can USB midi host, it should work easily with the OP-1 and could be a fun ‘sit on the couch’ item with just those two things. Or those two things and something multi-timbral.
This may be dumb but I want an Omnichord so bad haha. They just look cool from a design perspective and its something you can easily play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKJaHv_57Y

Always regret selling mine, go get one! They are lots of fun, I would recommend going for the OM84.

Gas for the Meril Polymoon…

… and an OB6 desktop…

But the last one isn’t gonna happen soon.
So I've just sold my PreenFM2, Waldorf Blofeld SL, JX-03 and my AR (but this one, it's for upgrading to mk2 next year ^^)

And I've watch quite a few videos from the Novation Peak, it really seems to be epic ! I have a small GAS growing... ;)
Anyone got it, here ?

I’d given up on getting another OP-1. I actually thought they might announce cessation of production. But they’re back in stock and my hearts beating a little faster again.

I’ve spent two full days researching mechanical 60% keyboards. whats wrong with me.

Seems i’ve been a good boy this year. Looks like I have just enough to get a new Op-1. Just need to ponder this a while longer.

Get it, it is Christmas after all! :slight_smile:

I’d like a TR-8 alike drum machine:
With the classic sounds of Roland, the same hands on attitude,
But less ugly and more compact…

So I've just sold my PreenFM2, Waldorf Blofeld SL, JX-03 and my AR (but this one, it's for upgrading to mk2 next year ^^)

And I've watch quite a few videos from the Novation Peak, it really seems to be epic ! I have a small GAS growing... ;)
Anyone got it, here ?

I’m going to pass on the Peak, but it is an impressive unit. Wavetable as first-class oscillators? Yes please.

I’ve decided to pick up a DeepMind12D though. I thought I’d kicked the itch for it, but it came back with renewed intensity. They got all the little things right, I think.

I’d like a TR-8 alike drum machine: With the classic sounds of Roland, the same hands on attitude, But less ugly and more compact...

Sounds like you need the TR08

Yeah, but I want to stick with Ableton + Push2 combo.

I will try to find a very good sample library/vst.

I’m torn between Goldbaby stuff and Wave Alchemy Revolution, but the Samples from Mars deal it’s very attracting too…

I’d like a TR-8 alike drum machine: With the classic sounds of Roland, the same hands on attitude, But less ugly and more compact...

Sounds like you need the TR08

Seems i’ve been a good boy this year. Looks like I have just enough to get a new Op-1. Just need to ponder this a while longer.

Get one so we can nerd it out at the pub!

Honestly I’ve spent far too much time and effort this year overthinking my setup and buying and selling gear. Next year all I really want is to sit down with Ableton and make some good tunes.

Get one so we can nerd it out at the pub!

That was one of my thoughts.

It’s going to be a few weeks before I can say for definite, but right now i’m so excited at the prospect of getting one again. In nearly 25 years of buying and selling gear the Op-1 (& Korg Oasys) are the only things i’ve really regretted selling and dream about.