The gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS

I'm going to pass on the Peak, but it is an impressive unit. Wavetable as first-class oscillators? Yes please.

I've decided to pick up a DeepMind12D though. I thought I'd kicked the itch for it, but it came back with renewed intensity. They got all the little things right, I think.

I' no so nostalgic of the good old brass sound of analog synths. And with A4 mk2 and SH-01a, I'm rather OK in this department.

Now yes indeed, wavetable and FM are synthesis modes I am really attracted to ! And Peak does sound great ! Nick Batt’s and Mylar’s demos have really shown impressive capabilities :slight_smile:

The other alternative is going modular, and I’ve played with this idea a bit. But I am really afraid to dive into this… I know myself !

I’m suddenly feeling the siren call of modular again. I’m trying to resist. Those ‘Mantis’ cases from TipTop look perfect for getting back into it. I’ve got about half a Mantis case worth a modules crammed into my Pittsburgh Cell 48 cases and sitting in boxes…

It’s things like the Make Noise Mysteron and other physical modeling things like Plonk that are pulling me back towards the Eurorack.

But then I put together just a pairing of a Wogglebug and the the Mysteron and realizes that costs as much as an Organelle and there are some fine tuned delay things for the Organelle as is and I should just finally get an Organelle and also get back to abusing the OP-1’s “pluck” engine and combine it with some Elektron sequencing or effects and keep myself out of that Eurorack mess except for that tiny bit that I have…

But man there’s some cool digital stuff in Euroland these days.

Maybe I should really consider getting a refurbished Macbook Air for playing with Reaktor 6, Max 7, and VCV Rack on the couch; or investing into tweaking my desktop computer setup to be a more comfortable environment again…
1 Like

The GAS is strong with you @jshell :slight_smile: Reading through your comment I can see the very same reasoning and emotions I’m going through, not matter what the gear I currently lust after.

[warning: very long, incoherent rabling ahead] The longer I think of it the more I wished there would be a way to temporarily share hardware gear with others in a way that eliminates trust issues (which I do have a lot of). This way one could silence the GAS by having the first hand experiences while not requiring pockets with unlimited depth to them. If I were to jump on the hype-train a smart contract of some sorts on a block chain would come to mind… I could offer a two weeks with my volca plus cash collateral and a small fee in exchange for an SE02 (did I mention that I’m GASing for one atm?) The biggest problem would very likely be physical access/exchange though as the gearhead density around the globe probably is not big enough yet to satisfy all GAS needs. We could try to all move to the same place (aka Gear Heaven) or come up with cost effective (and insured) shipping solutions at least within a single country. Maybe piggy back on long distance busses or ride sharing. Come to think of it maybe snail mail would even be sufficient. Maybe shipping is not too bad an issue after all. It seems to boild down to some form of escrow/credit management system. You put some money into an escrow account and then you can borrow gear based on that money. Gear swap would add to that account so, once you’ve earned some reputation, you can withdraw the money and only swap gear…

I realize this only works when people actually want to cooperate. One bad apple would ruin the party for everyone unfortunately… just like I ruined this metaphor :slight_smile:

exit: fixed some spelling issues, there are probably atill some left, sorry

@crudeoperator I had a similar idea a while back for a gear-sharing website. It would be cool but as you said the biggest problem would be how to deal with bad people when you’re only just starting out. Then again I recently came across an a/v rental site called fatlama and it seems functional, so maybe theirs would be a good model to study.

Gear library? Keep resources central.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500138/central_library/6316/what_you_can_do_at_central_library/3

I did read of a community who pooled their diy tools and shard them.

EDIT: this isn’t the one I’d seen but still relevant
http://edinburghtoollibrary.org.uk/

Portland, Oregon (USA) has a synth library - http://s1portland.com/synth-library/

As does Ann Arbor Michigan - http://www.aadl.org/musictools

That would be a fun project to host if one had the time / means / community.

So I’ve pretty much decided against getting an Op-1 after all. I was thinking about the looper and audio tracks on my Mpc Live and realised I have the instrument I need. I’m now planning on getting a Deepmind 12 Desktop. 4 more days of holiday to think this through but i think the Deepmind 12 will be my next purchase.

A Behringer instead of an OP-1?

Nah, you can’t believe this :wink:

Well a few days ago I was thinking the same. But the more I thought about using an Op-1 and an Mpc Live, the more I realised I didn’t really need the Op-1. I’ve owned 2 Op-1s previously, so I know how great they are. But I think I have enough power/functions with the Live.

Edit: I wake up every morning with a different view. Op-1s back in the game.

Really want an Organelle. Anyone have any experience?

A few of us have one. I haven’t started making my own patches yet because I haven’t gotten around to getting a monitor I can use for it.

There are some really nice patches out there, emulations of popular effects and so on. I haven’t found a lot of killer synthesis patches, but a number of interesting ones. The grain synth stuff is pretty cool though.

Basically: out of the box + downloaded patches, it’s a great FX unit. For synthesis, you’ll want to program it if you’re anything like me. I’m sure others will chime in with their experience.

A few of us have one. I haven’t started making my own patches yet because I haven’t gotten around to getting a monitor I can use for it.

There are some really nice patches out there, emulations of popular effects and so on. I haven’t found a lot of killer synthesis patches, but a number of interesting ones. The grain synth stuff is pretty cool though.

Basically: out of the box + downloaded patches, it’s a great FX unit. For synthesis, you’ll want to program it if you’re anything like me. I’m sure others will chime in with their experience.

Cheers man. It’s on the list of ‘do I really need this’ at the moment. I’m sure il give in to GAS at some point.

Basically I have an Octatrack with OP1 feeding into it, and a send/return going out to Heat and back into the OT for resampling. I was thinking of adding a couple of Boss stomps to the chain but then thought I could probably spend the same amount on an Organelle and have unlimited FX in theory.

I had a brief wobble but love my Organelle now. It’s a GAS killer for me, think I want x, y or z… the Organelle can get me there, but whether or not it will depends on my Pure Data skills. I love learning, more than music production even, so it’s a great box for the likes of me. Not for everyone though.

I had a brief wobble but love my Organelle now. It’s a GAS killer for me, think I want x, y or z… the Organelle can get me there, but whether or not it will depends on your Pure Data skills. I love learning, more than music production, so it’s a great box for the likes of me. Not for everyone though.

Gas killer for sure. Organelle is the box that literally keeps on giving :slight_smile:

I’ve got an Organelle on order. Can’t wait to add it to the collection. Looking forward to using some of those tune-delay synths I’ve seen available for it as well as using it as a granular effect. That alone kills off a small desire I’ve had to get back into modular - getting Mysteron and Clouds for less than the cost of those two eurorack modules alone. But still something I can play on the couch like an instrument.

It’s definitely in GAS-killer territory. Once I got mine I stopped looking at digital stuff. That plan backfired though, and I started buying analog. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still though. It’s one of those tools with huge possibilities. If you get into the habit of programming it, you’ll never want to be rid of it. At least that’s the experience I’ve got with the Axoloti.

Behringer Neutron. Seems like it would cover a lot of the sonic ground of Sub 37. No presets, though. Patch bay instead of mod matrix for routing. Supposed to be very cheap. I could sequence if from A4. Hm… I definitely find it more appealing than Model D, if only because I like how it looks and like how you can morph between wave shapes - this is something none of my synth can do (except some engines on OP-1). But it seems to have tons of hidden functions too. Ah, and of course the duophonic mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BHp4sJreU

^^ @Gambler - agreed this has me GASing slightly, especially as I’d get some use out of all my patch cables I’ve got left over before I got out of eurorack! I am wary of getting sucked back into the world of modular or semi modular synths though…

That Neutron seems awesome. The price is very tempting. It will quench my thirst for Mother 32. The patching possibilities with its multiply outs. So cool.

the price for that Neutron is indeed very attractive. But i fear that it wont last for long. Behringer is not known for quality builds and if i use it heavily and would have to exchange it every other month because somethings broken: i would bite me in the ass :slight_smile: