The NAMM Thread (22-25 January 2015)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2015-akai-unveils-timbre-wolf-polyphonic-analogue-synth-and-tom-cat-drum-machines-614290

Oh and another Akai drum machine? wha?

Its Rhythm Wolf drum machine/bass synth may have had a mixed reception so far,

Hahaha that’s being nice. I think the reception was pretty one-sided there.

Its Rhythm Wolf drum machine/bass synth may have had a mixed reception so far,

Hahaha that's being nice. I think the reception was pretty one-sided there.

Haha no doubt. In theory a 4 voice analog mini synth under 500 sounds awesome. But if its 4 of the Rhythm Wolf Bass voices or something, well …junk city. Volca Keys is probably a better option for cheap poly.

@cuckoomusic Shared some early images of the Korg Odyssey range in (gasp!) all three original faceplate color schemes. Tough decisions ahead.

Volca Keys is probably a better option for cheap poly.

I love the sound of the Volca keys. I suppose technically you’d call it “paraphonic” because of the universal filter and env. But it’s pretty lush sounding considering the price. I’ve gotten great sounds out of it. For some reason the ‘sequencer’ on it drives me nuts. It’s like a glorified looper and for some reason it bugs me.

Anyway… i’m curious about these Akai things, even considering the rep of the Wolf. I would be sad if they don’t pan out, because my Akai 2800 sampler was my gateway to awesomeness. Akai use to rule, literally.

The Tom Cat. El. Oh. El.

At least Akai is trying.

Generalmusic back in action, huh?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2015-generalmusic-synth-brands-set-to-return-613282/

No one saw that polysynth Akai Timbre coming… still reserving judgement until I hear it.

Still keen to see what Dave Smith has up his sleeve, and Arturia, and Elektron with Overbridge…? ELKA

that korg sequencer also looks pretty interesting. love the ODDY. sweet!

Still keen to see what Dave Smith has up his sleeve,

Man I’ve actually had quite a bit of DSI gear, but never was too blown away. If it was an Evolver 2 based on the Pro2/12 or some kind of Prophet12 digital Tempest, I would be very interested!

An evolver replacement - desktop analog modular unit with pro 2 style OSC’s.

would be nice.

Vermona and Yamaha are silent, I think MFB have an analog drum synth also to be released from memory.
IMG_4282
New 4 voice analog from Akai!!!! Hopefully better than the Wolf. Pulled this from gearslutz, the post got taken down but grabbed the image first.

Good save! But man, I bought a Minibrute SE late last year… NOW, an affordable polyphonic with digital presets comes into the market? I thought I’d have the minbrute for at least a few more years. Sometimes I just have the worst timing. :frowning: But it’s interesting to see the music tech market shift and sway.

Good save! But man, I bought a Minibrute SE late last year… NOW, an affordable polyphonic with digital presets comes into the market? I thought I’d have the minbrute for at least a few more years. Sometimes I just have the worst timing. :frowning: But it’s interesting to see the music tech market shift and sway.

well it is Akai, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up yet… :</div>

Volca Keys is probably a better option for cheap poly.

I love the sound of the Volca keys. I suppose technically you’d call it “paraphonic” because of the universal filter and env. But it’s pretty lush sounding considering the price. I’ve gotten great sounds out of it. For some reason the ‘sequencer’ on it drives me nuts. It’s like a glorified looper and for some reason it bugs me.

Anyway… i’m curious about these Akai things, even considering the rep of the Wolf. I would be sad if they don’t pan out, because my Akai 2800 sampler was my gateway to awesomeness. Akai use to rule, literally.

I own the Volca keys too, and while you definitely can get lush sounds, I still find it thin. Sometimes it’s even piercing if you tweak it the wrong way. So Most times ill just run it through my delay pedal to soften it up.

Maybe I need scope other user’s presets

@beefinator I still have hopes for Akai. I think they just didn’t get what they were doing there at first. They may have even rushed it for NAMM and just ruined the Rhythm Wolf. But yeah, everyone is going to approach with caution.

@kites yeah that’s exactly what I was worried about with the Volca Keys.

Good save! But man, I bought a Minibrute SE late last year... NOW, an affordable polyphonic with digital presets comes into the market? I thought I'd have the minbrute for at least a few more years. Sometimes I just have the worst timing. :( But it's interesting to see the music tech market shift and sway.

…there will be something new from arturia too…don´t know exactly what kind of, but it´s NOT the audio-interface…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZjiXldgrc#t=60

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jd-xi/

Gotta say I am liking the look of this thing.

Here is the tom cat, seems pretty similar to the rythm wolf with the addition of some ‘disco toms’. I hope the other sounds are better too! Would be cool to have a dedicated analog disco machine :wink:

Akai Professional (akaipro.com), a leading innovator of music equipment for production and performance, today announced the introduction of their new Tom Cat analog drum machine.

Tom Cat is an exciting true analog drum machine with five built-in percussion voices, including Kick, Snare, and Clap sounds with chromatically tunable Disco Toms. Onboard controls—all continuously variable—enable users to customize the tuning, amplitude envelopes, and volume of each drum voice separately for precise real-time adjustment.

Outfitted with six MPC-style pads and a built-in 32-step sequencer, Tom Cat provides an ultra-responsive interface with a classic drum machine layout. Drum patterns can be fine-tuned using the Swing function, Pattern Select, and Tempo Control knob. A custom signal path, activated by its unique “Maul” circuitry, lets the user ‘dirty up’ their drum beats for just the right effect.

U.S Pricing for Tom Cat will be $199.

They will be available in July 2015.”

Yeah, it looks really nice. EDIT : ahem, not the tomcat, but the Roland.

Plus the guy demoing it has a clear idea of what he’s doing… Seen too many demos with cheesy anemic bleeps and bloops already, this was great in comparison. Yay!

Is anyone going to any of the events, or am I that much of a noob? I’d be interested in seeing Moby’s keynote and Steve Wosniak.

This is interesting for us OP-1 owners. The new Roland MX-1 is a USB HOST Maybe this can take over some ‘iConnectMIDI4+’ duties if you need a mixer too…

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/01/aira-mixer-performance-tool-gear/#more-36092

Sadly, it looks like the MX-1 is a usb host for AIRA only.