TX-6 mixer

Oh, yes indeed, the portable aspect is hard to meet with a mixer ^^

1010music Bluebox, then, might be the hardest competition.

Ummm not quite my use-case.
The Tascam 12 is a self-contained recording setup (mixer and recorder built into one). Iā€™ve used such things before (I started my recording life using a four-track cassette-based Tascam portastudio - anyone remember those?). I have now eventually settled on an iPad-based DAW and I just want a portable mixer to go with that. One that allows me to record multiple channel channels simultaneously.
iā€¦e Not a computer-based DAW. Must be portable, must be iPad compatible and output multiple channels (and ideally not cost an arm and a leg :wink:)

1 Like

@LyingDalai I took another look at the BlueBox to see if there was something I was missing. Having to rely on a separate power bank is enough to disqualify something as ā€œportableā€ for me at least. But the real bummer when comparing it to the TX-6 is that it has no ability to function as an audio interface as far as I could tell.

2 Likes

The BB isnt as tactile either. Awkward thing to hold, need to be connected to a power source and the knobs have a fair bit of resistance

1 Like

can someone help me from not buying this thing? I think I need an octarack mk2 and need to get rid of my TE stuff cause Iā€™ve outgrown it.

1 Like

i took another look because so many people are saying itā€™s comparableā€¦when itā€™s not

the closest comparison iā€™ve seen is the kmix but it too does not have built in rechargeable battery (or synth)

if i had to choose between OTmk2 and TK6 in isolation iā€™d probably choose OT
but itā€™s hard to make that choice without knowing more about your music and goals

anyway i have several of these and can try to give honest feedback
lemme know what questions you have

right now iā€™m really fortunate to unexpectedly have an octatrack, op1, opz and a tx6 (shipped today!) all at the same time

1 Like

Please let us know when it arrives and what you think of it.

2 Likes

I had an octatrack before but I guess Iā€™m struggling between an advanced sampler with way more storage space than the op-z. I wish they could just increase the 24mb sample limitation. Maybe Iā€™ll just order the tx-6 for now and if it doesnā€™t work out Iā€™ll get an Octa or that new Polyend thatā€™s coming out soon.

1 Like

i hate using it for making music but nothing beats the modern mpcā€™s for sample storage

mpc one has sd card slot and mpc live has usb stick or sata drive support for huge increase in sample time and recording audio on the device

every other company is lagging behind akai for some reasonā€¦

you planning to record to a phone or daw on your laptop if you get the TX6? it might be worth waiting to see what the Polyend thing is like if sampling is a big part of your flow

I definitely will! Pretty excited to try some patches with it and see if itā€™s worth keeping

@oxxi If youā€™re choosing between this and the Octatrack (and youā€™re looking to sell your TE stuff because youā€™ve outgrown it) you should probably just get the OT. The hardware gear I use the most tends to be small and battery powered (TE stuff, Roland boutiques) so this looks really appealing to me and has a pretty specific use case. I probably wouldnā€™t be looking at this but for the fact that I travel frequently and donā€™t have the space at home for any sort of battle station.

I also see a lot of appeal for this as a guitar player. Even though certain things on this like the onboard drum machine sound superfluous, that combined with the onboard tuner make it really appealing as a practice tool.

But I think ultimately it comes down to whether you would get any value out of the form factor and portability, since thatā€™s probably what is driving a lot of the cost.

2 Likes

this is the most beautiful mixer-thing out there.
but if it could only record to SD card. missed opportunity. in a way you could use this system as a portable DAW. record multiple variations of a jam session, than mix/remix/playback them around and have your recordings on the go with you.

3 Likes

I ordered one on Thursday, still no shipping confirmation :frowning:

This checked off a lot of boxes for me. Really feel like Iā€™ll be able to get a lot more out of the OP-Z and especially the OP-1 together with this

2 Likes

wouldnā€™t one of those zoom field recorders that also doubles as a multi channel audio interface be a closer comparison?

6 tracks multitrack recorder & interface & mixer controls, multiple inputs, multi fx, portable size & battery, built in mics etc etc
seems like it ticks alot of the same boxes plus u can record straight in the box as well

1 Like

No?

The 18 assignable knobs and midi/sequencing functionality are more valuable to me than recording to local storage.

If I absolutely need something Iā€™ve got two 6 minute tracks on the OP1ā€™s Album Mode, but iPhones exist.

2 Likes

This is pretty much my situation (although I have not been travelling so much recently). My setup is based around TE and Roland Boutiques (although I have kept my original Roland SH-101 as it was the first synth I ever bought). I also use guitars. My apartment space is limited and my girlfriend insists I store everything away after use.

One thing about the T-6 I that is wonā€™t directly accept mic and guitar level inputs so some kind of pre-amplification would be needed for those.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think people fall in love with gear with no logical reasonā€¦

3 Likes

@TrashTalk for guitar the mustang micro would pair pretty well with this.

2 Likes

often true but why do you say so?

Because the TX-6 seems at the same time a very interesting and flawed productā€¦

I mean, I think the decision to buy it is very personal and maybe motivated by something that canā€™t be explained by reason alone.

1 Like

ok fair

would you mind sharing your opinion about the flaws? we might agree but i also think some of what you consider ā€œflawsā€ are features to someone who wants the device

likely divided by a mere matter of personal preferences and experiences

you could just as easily say:

Sometimes I think people hate new products for no logical reasonā€¦

1 Like